Warrington-Worldwide.co.uk incorporates the Village Life, Culcheth Life, Frodsham Life & Lymm Life magazines.

No charges to be brought over death of Andrew Webster outside Screwfix store


NO charges are to be brought against a 24-year-old man who was arrested on suspicion of assault outside a Screwfix store, which resulted in the death of Warrington dad-of-three Andrew Webster.

The decision by the Crown Prosecution Service not to prosecute has left the victim’s widow “completely devastated”.
Mr Webster, 51, a local builder known as Andy, suffered fatal head injuries following an argument with an alleged queue jumper at the DIY shop in Warrington on July 2.
Police arrested a 24-year-old man on suspicion of assault who was released on bail.
On Wednesday Andy’s wife Lisa, 42, was told by Cheshire Police no further action was being taken after the 24-year-old man claimed he was acting in self-defence. Detectives said they had “insufficient evidence” to prove otherwise.
The altercation occurred while Screwfix customers were only able to pick up click and collect orders due to coronavirus restrictions and required to social distance by at least two metres.
During the incident, Mr Webster allegedly fell and hit his head on the floor after he was punched. He was taken to Aintree Hospital in Liverpool but sadly died nearly a week later.
His heartbroken wife has been left ‘completely devastated’ by the Crown Prosecution Service’s decision saying it is the 24-year-old’s word against her dead husband’s.
She told the Mirror Online: ‘We’ve lost a massive part of our lives and he’s just cracking on with his life. Andy doesn’t have a voice in this, does he?
“Neither person should be fighting but, at the end of the day, you hit someone and they died. You have so many opportunities to walk away and not get involved and end up basically saying that you were scared.
“How can this even be right in this country? I find it disgusting. I feel really let down. I’m just totally numb. I’m disappointed.”
A spokesman for the Crown Prosecution Service said: ‘Having considered all the evidence, we concluded the legal test for prosecution was not met.
“The suspect claimed self-defence and that appropriate force was used and there was insufficient evidence to dispute this version of events. We know this is upsetting for the family and have written to them to explain our decision in full.”

Serious assault victim sadly dies


About Author

Experienced journalist for more than 35 years. Managing Director of magazine publishing group with six in-house titles and on-line daily newspaper for Warrington. Experienced writer, photographer, PR consultant and media expert having written for local, regional and national newspapers. Specialties: PR, media, social networking, photographer, networking, advertising, sales, media crisis management. Patron Tim Parry Johnathan Ball Foundation for Peace. Trustee Warrington Disability Partnership. Former Chairman of Warrington Town FC.

Leave A Comment