Warrington-Worldwide.co.uk incorporates the Village Life, Culcheth Life, Frodsham Life & Lymm Life magazines.

First tenants move in at Warrington’s historic Academy building

0

IN the mid-1700s it was an important seat of learning to rival Oxford and Cambridge and led to Warrington being dubbed “the Athens of the North.”

But to its new tenants,  The Academy, in Bridge Street, is now somewhere to call home.
After a history of more than 400 years as place of learning, offices, gentleman’s club and even warehousing, The Academy has now started a new life as a supported housing unit.
Team leader Joanne Birdsall said: “The Academy is an incredible building and I feel extremely privileged to work here.
“There are some amazing original features including a dramatic fireplace in the front room and beautiful oak beams in the loft space apartments. Each of the apartments is individually designed.
“The Academy provides safe accommodation right at the heart of Warrington for people who have support needs. Our aim, in most cases, is to help people to build upon their independent living skills and eventually to move on to their own accommodation.”
The Academy is a development by Bewsey-based national adult health and social care charity Making Space, working in partnership with Inclusion Housing. Each of the 22 apartments features an open plan kitchen/dining and living space, one bedroom and a modern bathroom. Access is by a secure fob entry system and 24/7 on-site support is available.
Applications for tenancies are open to people aged 18+ who have a range of needs including learning disabilities, autism, mental health and long term conditions. You must have a support package and require on-going support in order to be eligible for a tenancy.
To find out more email theacademy@makingspace.co.uk
or call 01925 909284
*Warrington Academy opened in 1757 as a non-conformist or “dissenting” education establishment although it was not originally in the Bridge Street building. It attracted many leading educationists and scientists to its staff, including Joseph Priestley, the discoverer of oxygen. It closed in 1783 although the buildings were not sold until 1789 after which they were used for a time for warehousing.

Share.

About Author

Leave A Comment