Big Jubilee Lunch

Four star Yellows make it three in a row


Pictures John Hopkins

WARRINGTON Town cruised to a third successive victory as they despatched of bottom club North Ferriby United 4-0 at Cantilever Park.

The damage was done in the first half, much like in the reverse fixture that the Yellows won 5-0, as they scored three goals through Jack Mackreth, Adam Hughes and Jake Kirby.

Warrington added a fourth late on as substitute Jack Dunn crashed home after racing on to a through ball.

The Yellows handed a debut to goalkeeper Josh Tibbetts, signed overnight from Southport after loan ‘keeper Charlie Albinson suffered a thumb injury training with parent club Blackburn.

He was never likely to be tested by the visitors, for who loan forward Jake Martindale had a lonely afternoon despite his best efforts.

They did start with a fairly high tempo, pressing eagerly but the Yellows started to control possession and territory as the first half went on.

There was an early warning for the away side when Kirby ran in behind off Bohan Dixon’s pass, an offside flag rendering the chance obsolete anyway, though the busy Lewis Exall did pull off a good save anyway.

Ben Garrity just couldn’t get on the end of a deep Mackreth’s free kick and Tony Gray dummied inside and had a shot blocked.

The deadlock was broken on 25 minutes from the penalty spot. Kirby pounced on an error by Dan Nichols and went to round Exall, the striker went down and despite the protestations of the Ferriby goalkeeper, the referee pointed to the spot and up-stepped Mackreth to send him the wrong way for 1-0.

The lead was doubled three minutes later when Garrity’s short corner found Mackreth, who curled a right footed ball in from the left for an unmarked Hughes to head in to the bottom left corner.

North Ferriby’s only real sight of goal came on 36 minutes when Tom Waudby came away from two full-blooded challenges in midfield and struck one low from 25 yards that had Tibbetts scrambling to watch it wide of his right hand post.

A third was added four minutes before half time. James Williamson made a meal of his clearance close to the left touchline and Gray nipped in, played the ball across to Kirby and he held off his man and found the back of the net.

The second half played out as expected towards what was largely a foregone conclusion.

Substitutes Josh Amis and Connor McCarthy created chances for each other from the right but it would be North Ferriby that had the best chance, Jack Smith heading against the crossbar from a Will Waudby cross.

Warrington have a weekend off next week and are next in action in a fortnight’s time at home to Buxton.

Warrington Town: Tibbets, Duggan, Hughes, Garrity, Roberts, Raven, Mackreth (McCarthy), Evans (Dunn), Gray (Amis), Dixon, Kirby. 

North Ferriby United: Exall, Smith, Williamson, Lamplough (Windass), D Nichols, Piercy, T Waudby, Hogg (J Nichols), Martindale (Dunkerley), Bradshaw, W Waudby. 


About Author

Journalist and sport content specialist, who is also editor of Love Rugby League. Formerly ran the official website of the Carling Cup, as well as operating a digital services business in Warrington.

Leave A Comment