Warrington Town fightback to earn replay in the FA Cup


WARRINGTON Town are still in the FA Cup after twice fighting back from behind to draw 3-3 at Consett and set up a replay at Cantilever Park on Tuesday night.

After a long journey to the north east, the Yellows fell two goals behind inside 15 minutes but were back on level terms at the break thanks to Bohan Dixon and Dylan Vassallo.

Consett, who had won all of their games this season before this one, then hit the front again in the second half only for substitute Tony Gray to score with his first touch shortly after the hour mark to make sure the Yellows are in the hat for Monday’s third qualifying round draw.

A lively start saw a goal on eight minutes, a lovely dummy creating space for Luke Carr, who bent a fine left-foot shot to score from outside the box, the first goal Tony McMillan had conceded in more than 700 minutes of action.

The lead was doubled on 14 minutes when Consett’s club record goalscorer Michael Mackay broke the offside trap and opened up his body to curl a right foot shot in to the far corner.

Warrington were stunned by the double blow but got themselves back in to the match on 21 minutes when the excellent Bohan Dixon turned beautifully on the edge of the box, before placing a shot past the goalkeeper.

Consett were causing problems down the middle though Warrington would finally settle down in the final quarter of the half, as Jack Mackreth started to pose more threat down the right.

It was his cross that led to the equaliser on the stroke of half-time, headed in by Vassallo at the back post.

Warrington started the second half strongest and Dixon forced a good save out of the ‘keeper after a rangy run down the left, before Mackreth shot wide.

But the Northern League side could not be put away and when a stretching McMillan pushed Danny Craggs shot wide, Arjun Purewal headed home from the corner to give Consett the lead again.

In the land of Kevin Keegan’s famous we’ll score more than you motto, it very much looked like that’s how it was going to be and so it proved on 64 minutes when barely moments after coming on, Gray headed home a delicious ball in by Mackreth for 3-3.

There could have been more goals and it was the hosts who finished strongest, Warrington grateful for some stout defending by Mitch Duggan and Mark Roberts to ensure a replay on Tuesday night.

Pictures John Hopkins

Consett: Hayes, Green, Holden, Smith, Purewal, McKinnon, Craggs, Juul, Sweet, Carr, Mackay. Unused subs: Dowson, Coombe, Lawrence, Lavery, Colling, Male Gray.

Warrington Town: McMillan, Duggan, Hughes, Garrity, Roberts, Raven, Mackreth (Dunn), Evans, Dixon, Amis (Gray), Vassallo. Unused subs: Carden, Williams.

For more pictures by John Hopkins CLICK HERE


About Author

Journalist and sport content specialist, who is also editor of Love Rugby League. Formerly ran the official website of the Carling Cup, as well as operating a digital services business in Warrington.

Leave A Comment