Big Jubilee Lunch

Yellows left frustrated by Stalybridge


WARRINGTON Town were left frustrated as they held to a goalless draw by Stalybridge Celtic.

For the second successive Saturday, the Yellows failed to find the net as their goal shy tendencies from last season came to the fore again.

Strikers Tony Gray and Richard Brodie both had chances in the second half but they couldn’t break down Celtic, despite being on top for large periods.

The Yellows were unchanged from the 3-1 win over Lancaster City in midweek, though Shaun Beeley returned on the bench. There was still no place for Jack Mackreth and David Raven, both continuing their frustrating wait for international clearance from the FA.

It was an open game from the early stages, and it was James Caton who looked most like creating something down the Yellows left hand side. His cross was blocked at the front post and then another ball in was punched off Josh Amis’ head by the ‘keeper.

Caton then had a shot blocked by a defender and then blazed one over the bar from a good position after Jack Dunn had found him in space.

Dunn was forced off on 39 minutes with a hamstring strain, replaced by Beeley, who immediately headed on to Gray who had a weak shot easily stopped.

Goalless at half time, the best chance of the match came on 54 minutes. Gray ghosted in behind the defence to get on the end of Ben Garrity’s low cross, only to see Jack Turner pull off a fine save from point blank range.

It was all Warrington going forward and full-back Adam Hughes first headed wide and then shot over the bar as the hosts pressed.

Brodie had an awkward attempt from all of 35 yards as the keeper’s poor clearance fell to his feet, and then his header from Beeley’s cross was comfortably caught.

Substitute Dylan Vassallo had an impact, a superb through ball releasing Brodie, but his shot was weak and the ‘keeper got down well for it.

Those two linked up again as time ran out, Vassallo releasing Brodie, whose drilled ball across the face of goal was just too far for Vassallo’s outstretched leg.

Stalybridge woke up in stoppage time and nearly won it themselves as Scott Harries got in behind and crossed for John Marsden, his shot blocked and then Tom Brown fluffed his lines on the rebound.

Marsden’s shot from outside the box was then grasped at the second attempt by McMillan, as both teams had to settle for a point.

Warrington Town: McMillan, Duggan, Hughes, Garrity, Roberts, George, Dunn (Beeley), Evans, Gray, Amis (Brodie), Caton (Vassallo). Unused subs: Hynes, Carden.

Stalybridge Celtic: Turner, Tongue, Wilson, Brown, Brady, Clarke, Wolfenden (Marsden), Dent (Akrigg), Bakkor, Flint, Kengni (Harries). Unused subs: Spooner, Winterbottom.


About Author

Journalist and sport content specialist, who is also editor of Love Rugby League. Formerly ran the official website of the Carling Cup, as well as operating a digital services business in Warrington.

Leave A Comment