Big Jubilee Lunch

Warrington Town win eight-goal thriller


VIDEO: A BEN Deegan inspired Warrington Town returned to winning ways with an entertaining 5-3 win over Matlock Town.

The big striker made his first start of the season and repaid his manager with a brace as the Yellows fought from 2-0 and 3-2 down to win.

It marked a welcome three points for the Yellows following three successive defeats, ahead of Bank Holiday Monday’s trip to Marine.

At times in the second half it looked like the football might have been decided by a higher scoreline than the Challenge Cup final at Wembley.

Warrington thought they had hit the front inside eight minutes, Michael Grogan heading home from a corner that was earned by Scott Harries, only for the referee to judge there had been a push in the box.

The Yellows were making early attempts to improve their style of play in the early stages, nice patient build-up and link up play with Deegan and Ciaran Kilheeney creating chances, with Gerard Kinsella sliding a pass through for Kilheeney who was smothered out by the Matlock ‘keeper.

The visitors were spritely though and nearly took the lead themselves on 15 minutes when Karl Wills pulled off a world class reaction save, pushing over the bar one handed from Michael Williams point blank header.

That forced a repeat corner, and when that was cleared for another corner, the pressure finally told. The third successive set piece from the left was flicked in at the near post by Matt Newsham.

And Matlock made it a double blow for the Yellows just two minutes later, when Marcus Dinanga climbed above Sean Clancy at the back post for 2-0.

It could have been curtains at the break had Williams’ terrific free-kick gone in, instead it clattered the underside of the bar and bounced out.

Instead, Warrington dragged themselves back in to the contest before half-time, Grogan making a crucial interception on a Matlock attack and driving forward with Deegan. Deegan’s cross in to the middle was diverted home by Kilheeney.

The first half action didn’t end there, Metcalfe striking the post with a free-kick in injury time as the Yellows almost went in to half time on level terms.

They didn’t have to wait long after the restart to restore parity, Deegan heading home from Grogan’s excellent ball from the right just two minutes in to the second half for 2-2.

But just as it looked like Matlock had fallen away and the Yellows had all the momentum, the visitors struck again.

Newsham was afforded far too much room on the edge of the box and he was able to pick his spot high to Wills’ right hand.

The Yellows responded within six minutes with a double salvo of their own to turn the game on its head.

First, Scott Harries worked hard to keep possession on the right and found Kilheeney, with the ball bouncing loose for Deegan to pounce.

Two minutes later it was 4-3, Harries winning a free-kick tight to the right touchline and defender James McCarten flicked a header in off Metcalfe’s delivery.

The breathless second half threatened to continue in that manner as both Metcalfe and Kilheeney had chances to put a bit of breathing space between the two teams.

In the end, the Yellows had to wait until seven minutes from time before they could breathe a bit easier. It was the returning Deegan again who had a hand in it, laying off for Grogan to drill home from the right for 5-3.

That proved to be enough as Warrington secured their second win of the season.


Scott Metcalfe challenges for the ball Picture Stephen Speakman


Ben Deegan heads home Picture Stephen Speakman


Ciaran Kilheeney takes a tumble Picture Stephen Speakman


Ben Deegan is presented with his Man of the Match award watched by Chairman Toby Macormac

Warrington Town: Wills, Grogan, Clancy, O’Donnell, McCarten, Winder (Rudge), Harries (Codling), Kinsella, Kilheeney, Deegan (Dean), Metcalfe. Unused subs: Turner, Nicholas.

Matlock Town: Jameson, Marsden, Wiley, Doyle-Charles, Yates, De Girolamo, McManus (Griffiths-Junior), Williams, Newsham (Amu), Dinanga, Cribley. Unused subs: Green, Todd, King.


About Author

Journalist and sport content specialist, who is also editor of Love Rugby League. Formerly ran the official website of the Carling Cup, as well as operating a digital services business in Warrington.

Leave A Comment