A Chief Financial Officer is a manager who is responsible for overseeing the company’s financial assets and liabilities, as well as the human resources department.
In addition to this, they have a direct effect on the company’s success. With so much responsibility, it can be hard to know what is really expected of this position. This is where you come in! Let us take you through what it means to be a Chief Financial Officer and help you discover whether this career path is right for you!
Is This Career Right For Me?
If you have a keen eye for detail and enjoy working with financial data, then you may be well suited for a career as a chief financial officer. If you live in Australia and you are wondering how to become a CFO in Australia, don’t worry, since ways of becoming a CFO don’t differ too much based on location, but rather on the company or corporation you are working at. However, keep in mind that this is a highly challenging role and this job will require you to think strategically. Being able to make quick decisions based on current business trends is critical in order to ensure you are looking out for the company’s best interest. If you have been considering a career as a chief financial officer, finding out more about this profession will give you the tools to land your dream job as well as help you decide if it’s right for you.
The CFO manages the company’s financial assets and liabilities, but they are also responsible for human resources. They report to the Chief Executive Officer of the company. A big part of their job is forecasting future cash flows in order to make adequate plans to finance growth. The Financial Director is responsible for overseeing budgets and making sure the company doesn’t spend more money than they are earning. The CFO makes sure that this is done in order to create a successful business plan that creates growth within the organisation. They are responsible for working with employees, shareholders, suppliers, and customers to make sure their products or services are financially sound. CFOs work with external auditors to make sure the company’s books are in order. They provide executives with financial data and analysis to make plans, manage expenses, and forecast future earnings.
An Example Of A Chief Financial Officer Job Description
The CFO works closely with other members of senior management to ensure proper financial policies and procedures are being followed and that the company’s books are in order. They provide executives with financial data and analysis to make plans, manage expenses, and forecast future earnings. The CFO can be found supporting both external auditors as well as the human resources department. A job description for a CFO may include:
- Senior management responsibility of corporate functions which may also be aligned with other areas depending on the divisional organisation
- Formulate the strategic direction of Corporate Functions in line with Divisional Strategy
- Working closely with divisional management teams to ensure efficient and effective delivery of financial policies, procedures, and controls
- Forecasting future cash flows for the business in order to make adequate plans to finance growth across all divisions
- Manage budgets in accordance with Divisional Growth Plans
- Oversee the preparation of internal and external reporting as required by local legislation, financial reporting policies, and procedures
- Maintain a high-level understanding of all finance-related activities within the division(s) to ensure prompt decisions are made based on current information
- Negotiate prices with suppliers for goods and services
- Ensure statutory returns are prepared accurately and on time
- Review and analyse divisional budgets and forecasts and ensure they are prepared in line with agreed business plans
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships within the team and across divisions
- Identify, advise on and implement process improvements to ensure efficient delivery of financial services
- Advise Executive Team around significant financial issues (e.g. performance, budgets, forecasts, and plans)
What A Career In Finance Has To Offer
There are so many benefits to being a CFO, including competitive salaries, excellent pensions, and job security. Some companies offer relocation packages or work flexibility in order to attract new talent. Most CFO positions are challenging but also rewarding since you have the opportunity to help a company grow and become more successful. You may also be afforded the opportunity to learn from other C-level executives working in your organisation. Many times, these positions open up doors for executive leadership roles.
Is Becoming A Chief Financial Officer Right For Me?
As a chief financial officer, you can expect to be responsible for more than just money management. You may work with the human resources department and the executive team to make strategic decisions that affect your company’s bottom line. You will need to know how to communicate clearly and effectively. Since you will be working with the executive team, it is essential to communicate effectively in order to provide accurate information. You will want to tell your superiors that you are an excellent leader and can make informed decisions using financial data. Additionally, you should demonstrate that you are capable of keeping up with changing trends in finance and technology.
What Skills And Qualities Are Needed To Be A Good Chief Financial Officer?
In order to work in this role, you will need a bachelor’s degree and several years of finance experience. Those who have earned their MBA or CPA certification are at an advantage since they can show that they have comprehensive knowledge of business practices and the industry itself. The skills and qualities needed to be a good chief financial officer include:
- Being able to lead a team of finance professionals
- Having the ability to communicate with all company personnel, including their superiors
- Analytical thinking is successful in this career since you will be looking at financial data
- Prioritising tasks to ensure deadlines are met
- Initiating change and being innovative
- Being well organised and proficient in Microsoft Office programs. You also should be familiar with common business software as well as accounting applications, such as Sage or SAP.
So, what does it mean to be a Chief Financial Officer? It means having the ability and opportunity to work with the executive team as well as lead several finance professionals. Having an advanced education and advanced knowledge of technology can give you a competitive edge. You also should be able to communicate effectively with those around you. Being creative, innovative, and well organised are all characteristics that you should possess in order to be competitive in this field. And that is what it means to be a Chief Financial Officer!