Warrington-Worldwide.co.uk incorporates the Village Life, Culcheth Life, Frodsham Life & Lymm Life magazines.

Wolves ease to another win at Hull


Pictures Bob Brough

WARRINGTON Wolves registered back-to-back wins for the first time since July as they eased past Hull 38-4.

Backing up last week’s 9-8 home win against Castleford, the Wolves turned in another stern defensive effort before pulling clear of the hapless hosts in the second half.

Man of the Match Blake Austin scored the game’s opening try, weaving through a few defenders before stretching to find the line, confirmed by the video referee, despite the ball initially being placed on the leg of a defender.

It remained 6-0 until the stroke of half-time, when the Wolves capitalised on a Hull errror, Toby King racing away on the left to put Tom Lineham in to slide over against his former club.

The next try would be crucial and it went in favour of Steve Price’s side, again King created it, his superb offload around the back of a defender putting Gareth Widdop over for a third try.

The returning Anthony Gelling then scored his first try in the primrose and blue, on his first appearance since he was suspended by the club following his arrest last month.

Minutes later, Ben Murdoch-Masila charged on to an inside ball to stroll over under the posts at the end of a week when his move to the NRL for next season was confirmed.

The floodgates were opened, and Stefan Ratchford went within a whisker of adding a try to his three goals as he just failed to ground Austin’s kick to the in-goal.

A sixth try came on 69 minutes, Daryl Clark, who was selected on the bench once again, burst through a gap and then found Widdop backing up on his inside, and the marquee man danced around a few defenders to finish things off.

Not to be outdone, Austin got his second try moments later. A break through the middle from Sitaleki Akauola gave the Wolves momentum, Austin dummied through the line and made it look easy for 38-0, which was brought up by Widdop’s conversion, taking over kicking duties from Ratchford.

The focus then turned to keeping Hull scoreless, and when the hosts won a penalty metres out in front of the posts, the home crowd ironically shouted for them to take the two.

Warrington would be breached right at the death, Kieran Buchanan going in down the left after the Wolves had coughed up possession late on, but they secured their first away win in Super League since beating relegated London in July.

After the game Hull FC parted company with Head Coach Lee Radford after six years in charge.

The announcement was made live on TV by club Chairman Adam Pearson.

Gareth Widdop scores – Picture Bob Brough

Hull: Shaul, Fonua, Tuimavave, Griffin, Buchanan, Kelly, Sneyd, Taylor, Houghton, Satae, Jones, Lane, Bowden. Subs: Brown, Fash, Johnstone, Matongo.

Warrington: Ratchford, Charnley, Gelling, King, Lineham, Austin, Widdop, Hill, Walker, Cooper, Currie, Murdoch-Masila, Clark. Subs: Clark, Philbin, Mamo, Akauola



About Author

Journalist and sport content specialist, who is also editor of Love Rugby League. Formerly ran the official website of the Carling Cup, as well as operating a digital services business in Warrington.

Leave A Comment