Warrington-Worldwide.co.uk incorporates the Village Life, Culcheth Life, Frodsham Life & Lymm Life magazines.

Wolves progress to quarter finals after Wigan thriller


WARRINGTON Wolves progressed to the quarter-finals of the Challenge Cup with a 26-24 win over Wigan.

Their reward is a tricky trip to Hull KR to be played sometime betwen May 30 and June 2.

Stefan Ratchford’s penalty 12 minutes from time turned out to be the telling effort in a thrilling game in front of the BBC cameras.

Wigan had clawed back a 10 point deficit to tie things up and were knocking on the door at the end, but for a knock on by Romain Navarette to end their challenge.

Warrington opened up with a Bryson Goodwin score down the left after creating an overlap, though Wigan should have been level when Dan Sarginson had a try controversially ruled out by the video referee. The centre had gone the full length of the pitch for an interception try after Tommy Leuluai had tackled Blake Austin and was adjudged to have knocked on.

Sam Powell did level things up before Jack Hughes went over. Thomas Leuluai burrowed his way over from close range after a good pass by Sean O’Loughlin, but the Wolves made it 18-12 at the break when Daryl Clark sprinted out of dummy half and rounded Zak Hardaker for a fine solo effort.

Hardaker kicked a penalty early in the second half to reduce arrears to four but by the 47th minute it was 24-14, Ratchford converting a Ryan Atkins try down the left.

Wigan, who have been under par in Super League this season, fought back and got a controversial try back through Sarginson, with what looked like a double movement.

Hardaker then scored before the hour, though missed the conversion, leaving the scores tied at 24-24.

The pivotal moment came on 68 minutes when Ben Flower failed to clear the ruck after tackling Mike Cooper, setting up a simple penalty goal for Ratchford.

Wigan managed to work their way up the other end, forcing a drop-out, but when Navarrette knocked on from Blake Austin’s long kick, their time was almost up.

They forced it late on down the left through Oliver Gildart, Joe Burgess putting the ball down close to the touch line with what proved to be their last touch of the game.

Warrington will now travel to Hull KR in the quarter-finals.

Warrington: Ratchford, Goodwin, Atkins, King, Charnley, Austin, Patton, Hill, D Clark, Cooper, Currie, Hughes, Davis.

Interchanges: Murdoch-Masila, J Clark, Philbin, Akauola.

Wigan: Hardaker, Marshall, Sarginson, Gildart, Burgess, Williams, Leuluai, Flower, Powell, Navarrete, Isa, Greenwood, Clubb.

Interchanges: O’Loughlin, Hankinson, Tautai, Bullock.

Click here for a gallery of pictures by Eddie Whitham

Quarter Final Draw

The draw was made following the game with one non-Super League club is guaranteed to make the semi finals of the Coral Challenge Cup in 2019.

The quarter final draw, conducted by Great Britain Rugby League legends Ellery Hanley and Jonathan Davies at the Halliwell Jones Stadium after Warrington’s thrilling televised sixth-round victory over Wigan, paired Bradford Bulls with their local Championship rivals Halifax.

Warrington have a tricky trip to Hull KR, while the holders Catalans Dragons must also travel to East Yorkshire, to face Hull FC.

The winners of the last of the sixth-round ties, between Huddersfield and St Helens at the John Smiths Stadium this evening (live on Sky Sports), will be rewarded with a home tie against Wakefield Trinity.

All four quarter finals will be televised – two by the BBC, and two by Sky Sports – between May 30 and June 2. Dates and coverage will be confirmed as soon as possible.

Coral Challenge Cup quarter finals:

Huddersfield Giants or St Helens v Wakefield Trinity

Bradford Bulls v Halifax,

Hull Kingston Rovers v Warrington Wolves,

Hull FC v Catalans Dragons.


About Author

Journalist and sport content specialist, who is also editor of Love Rugby League. Formerly ran the official website of the Carling Cup, as well as operating a digital services business in Warrington.

Leave A Comment