Warrington-Worldwide.co.uk incorporates the Village Life, Culcheth Life, Frodsham Life & Lymm Life magazines.

Wolves hold off Giants to record third straight win



WARRINGTON Wolves recorded their third straight victory as they held off Huddersfield 26-24 at the Halliwell Jones Stadium.

Danny Brough’s missed conversion on the hooter means Tony Smith’s men climb to ninth in the Super League table.

It was a see-saw encounter that saw the Wolves take the lead inside three minutes, a switch to right seeing Harvey Livett cross for the first try of the game.

Huddersfield did the same barely three minutes later, when Darnell McIntosh was able to score on their right, both conversions missed to see the scores at 4-4.

Daryl Clark marked his return to the line-up with a try on 13 minutes, but once again the Giants struck back within three minutes, full-back Jake Mamo backing up a Sam Wood break, and the game was tied again at 10-10.

Huddersfield took the lead for the first time on 26 minutes, Brough tagging on a penalty after a Giants man was taken out chasing a kick.

But it was Warrington who would lead at half-time, a nice dummy from Kurt Gidley saw him through and over the line, with Declan Patton’s conversion making it 16-12 at the break.

Within six minutes of the restart, the Giants had wrestled the lead back, Brough diving over from dummy half and converting himself for 16-18.

On the hour, Brough extended that lead again, taking a penalty after Chris Hill was offside.

But the scores were levelled again with 16 minutes left, Warrington creating an overlap for Rhys Evans to score uncoverted for 20-20.

Warrington re-took the lead on 69 minutes, Toby King getting on the end of a Patton kick, and this time Patton was able to convert, somewhat decisively, to make it 26-20.

Patton failed with a drop goal as Wolves looked to see the game out, and they managed to do so until the very end, when the Giants managed to score on the hooter in the corner, leaving Brough the chance to earn them a third draw of the season.

But as it was, he missed, and the Wolves were able to celebrate a fourth game without loss as their revival continues.

After the match Wolves’ boss Tony Smith said: “It was an ugly win but great to get the two points. It’s been a while since we won both games over Easter so that is important to us.

“Our back three were really good today. Rhys Evans played well, Tom Lineham had his best game for a while and Stefan saved us a few times.

“There were errors from both sides but you can put that down to fatigue.”

He confirmed that Mike Cooper had suffered a head injury so would miss next week’s game at home to Wakefield. But Matty Russell, Ryan Atkins and Kevin Brown will all be back in contention.

Warrington: Ratchford; Evans, T King, Livett, Lineham; Patton, Gidley; Hill, Clark, Sims, Jullien, Hughes, Cooper. Subs: Philbin, Dwyer, G King, Savelio.

Huddersfield: Mamo; McGillvary, S Wood, Murphy, McIntosh; Brough, Gaskell; Ikahihifo, Hinchcliffe, Wakeman, Mellor, Roberts, Clough. Subs: Rapira, Leeming, Mason, Dickinson.

To see video highlights CLICK HERE


About Author

Journalist and sport content specialist, who is also editor of Love Rugby League. Formerly ran the official website of the Carling Cup, as well as operating a digital services business in Warrington.

Leave A Comment