THE appeal by Eddie Stobart over refusal of planning permission for a National Distribution Centre on Green Belt land at Appleton Thorn is scheduled to take place at Warrington Town Hall on October 15.
Meanwhile the Secretary of State has asked the planning inspector not to make the final decision at the appeal, but refer it back due to it being a “significant green belt development.”
The news has been welcomed by local Cllr Ryan Bate who said:”Logic dictates the Secretary of State should take the same view with the second planning application.
“I am hoping that we will see the second application called in within the next few days or weeks.”
The appeal will be determined on the basis of an Inquiry, by the Planning Inspectorate (PINS) at the town hall at 10am on Tuesday 15th October 2019 at Warrington Town Hall.
Last November members of the committee voted against officer recommendation to approve the application on the basis it was “premature” and not enough evidence to show the economic benefits outweighed the loss of green belt.
The Full Planning application (Major) by Liberty Properties Developments Ltd & Eddie Stobart consists of demolition of all existing on-site buildings and structures and construction of a National Distribution Centre building (Use Class B8) with ancillary office accommodation (Class B1(a)), vehicle maintenance unit, vehicle washing area, internal roads, gatehouse, parking areas, perimeter fencing, waste management area, sustainable urban drainage system, landscaping, highways improvements and other associated works.
The site extends to approximately 15.7 hectares in size and is currently two undeveloped, arable fields divided by a low hedgerow running from north to south.
The site falls within the Green Belt land (as defined by the Adopted Warrington Local Plan Core Strategy) between the Warrington urban area to the west and Lymm to the east.
The application site lies within the Appleton Thorn Neighbourhood Plan Boundary.
But since then Stobart were successful in securing planning permission at the second attempt in July – although this is still awaiting a decision from the Secretary of State on whether it can proceed or be called in.