Big Jubilee Lunch

Town edged out in local derby


WARRINGTON Town Reserve’s promotion

chasing run hit the rails as they were edged out 2-3 by Grappenhall at

Cantilever Park despite fielding several first teamers seeking match

Grappenhall enjoyed a lively start to this Cheshire Building Society Cheshire League Division Two clash with three or four consecutive attacks but were unable to find a breakthrough. Town on the other hand lead with their first full attacking move.
First teamer Francis Smith set on a long run from his own half into the heart of the Grappenhall defence. His initial shot was blocked but the ball was returned to fellow first teamer Tom Lamb who drove home from the edge of the penalty area.
Recent new signing Richard Chetcuti who scored for the first team on saturday then forced a good save before Sports came close from a far post header which Shaw blocked rather than saved. Town launched another break with the pacey Chetcuti but when it broke down Grappenhall countered and Keddie equalised from twenty yards with a fine shot. The decisive touch was proving elusive for Town despite promising moves with Chetcuti regularly in the thick of the action.
Both sides exchanged long range shots before Town came close following a set piece. A Lee Boardman free kick was punched clear by Grappenhall’s keeper and then he tipped the ball wide from a Francis Smith shot. Ajayi was booked for dissent before Grappenhall also saw yellow for a cynical foul with the last man through on goal.
Although Town entered the field of play for the start of the second half their heads appeared to be elsewhere and they failed to defend with any authority. Grappenhall on the other hand played as if their lives depended on it and it was no surprise when they took the lead with a long range effort that Shaw could only palm into the corner of the net. Within a couple of minutes the lead was doubled when Town failed to clear a shot and Clegg blasted home from six yards when looking suspiciously offside. Sports next shot was tipped wide before they headed over from a corner. After twenty minutes a disjointed Town finally started to get it together and Owen Ellis headed over following a free kick. Another break down the left saw the ball crossed to Francis Smith who shot low to the bottom right hand corner. Town tried to push for an equaliser although it seemed some players were more committed to the cause than others at times.
A good turn and pass by an improving Tom Lamb fed Richard Chetcuti but his was shot was saved when through on the keeper when perhaps taking it round him may have proved a better option? We will never know. Then a quick break through the heart of the Grappenhall defence found Martin Bell who placed his shot past the keeper but sadly just beyond the far post. That was more or less it and it is safe to say that the wobble in Town’s league form has very much arrived!
Town: Shaw, Riley, Ajayi, O Ellis ©, Tebb, Owen, Dutton, F Smith, Chetcuti, Lamb, Boardman. Subs: Berry, Bell, Parr


About Author

Experienced journalist for more than 40 years. Managing Director of magazine publishing group with three in-house titles and on-line daily newspaper for Warrington. Experienced writer, photographer, PR consultant and media expert having written for local, regional and national newspapers. Specialties: PR, media, social networking, photographer, networking, advertising, sales, media crisis management. Director Warrington Chamber of Commerce Patron Tim Parry Johnathan Ball Foundation for Peace. Trustee Warrington Disability Partnership. Former Chairman of Warrington Town FC.

Leave A Comment