Rylands rue missed chances


By Garry Clarke
Pictures: John Hopkins


EXTENDING their unbeaten league run to 12 games, Warrington Rylands maintained their unbeaten away record but were left to rue a plethora of missed chances as Bamber Bridge snatched a point with a stoppage time leveller.

After consulting with his assistant, referee awarded the home side a deserved equaliser judging that Clive Smith had nudged the ball over his own line while attempting to clear during a goalmouth scramble.
Leading 2-1 at half time, Rylands had defended their advantage resolutely throughout the second half but having developed a habit of scoring late goals this season conceded in the second minute of extra time as manager Michael Clegg was making his way around the pitch having been sent from the technical area.
Rylands paid the price for not capitalising on the numerous goal scoring opportunities they created, especially in the opening fifteen minutes of the second half when numerous shots were fired at Bamber’s goal, with most being off target the home side’s goalkeeper James Pradic saved well to keep out an Adama Sidibeh shot.

The home side who had rarely troubled the Rylands goal in the first half started to come more into the game as the second half progressed but were kept at bay by a strong resolute Rylands defence with several raids being repelled by desperate defenders, goalkeeper Luke Pilling tipping a Lewis Thompson shot over the bar and Matt Regan clearing a Harry Scarborough shot of the line.
Rylands missed several chances in the first half but took the lead in the 14th minute. Picked out by a Ben Hardcastle cross, unmarked in the middle of the area Sidibeh guided his header past Pradic into the bottom corner.
Bamber Bridge equalised in the 27th minute when a well worked short corner routine found Harry Benns who slotted the ball home.

Rylands enjoyed a far greater share of in the first half with Ben Hardcastle having a shot deflected over the bar and Mo Touray having a shot deflected wide. Pradic did well to hold on to a Scott Bakkor shot, but was at fault for Rylands second goal on the stroke of half time.
Bakkor intercepted the goalkeeper’s poor clearance and played the ball forward to Mo Touray who despite being forced wide struck an angled drive which flew past Pradic into the far side of the net.

BAMBER BRIDGE – Pradic, Churchman, Thompson (Bayode), Forbes, Wilson, Potts, Benns, Edwards (O’Neill), Holt, Cullen (Scarborough), Baxter. Subs not used Sinclair, Billington
RYLANDS – Pilling, Smith, Swaby-Neavin (Thiam), Butler, Regan, Furman, Hardcastle, German, Sidibeh (Piggott),Touray (Baillie), Bakkor.  Subs not used Kyffin, Hurst.
Attendance 337                      Referee J Chadwick


About Author

Leave A Comment