PLANS to refurbish and change the use of a historic building in Warrington town centre, have been submitted to the borough council.
The proposals are in Bold Street, at its junction with Suez Street, and if approved would result in the Grade 2 Listed former solicitor’s offices being converted to 12 apartments.
Currently unoccupied, the building has not been used for some years and the purpose of the conversion and change of use is to bring it back into use.
It is invented to provide quality residential accommodation for affordable rent, consisting of 10 two-bed and two single-bed apartments.
The building is in the Warrington Cultural Quarter and the Palmyra Square Conservation Area.
Originally built in the mid 19th century, the house was first occupied as offices around 1920. But a flat roof extension was built at the rear at a later date.
A map dating from 1849 has no evidence of buildings on the site and the junction of Bold Street and Suez Street at that time would appear to have been open fields or gardens on the fringe of the town centre along Bridge Street.
Two two-storey extensions have been built in the past and there is a single storey storage building which will be demolished.
The existing car park would retained, providing 12 spaces.
All architectural and Listed features will be retained and the blue-painted plinth would be returned to a more sympathetic and original colour.
The proposals will be considered by Warrington Borough Council planning officers.