Warrington-Worldwide.co.uk incorporates the Village Life, Culcheth Life, Frodsham Life & Lymm Life magazines.

Rylands just one game from Wembley!


by Garry Clarke

AN Elliot Nevitt goal on the hour was enough to send Warrington Rylands 1906 into the semi-finals of the Buildbase FA Vase for the first time in the competition’s 47 season history.

Hebburn Town arrived at Gorsey Lane as holders of the Vase having won the delayed 2020 final on Monday, but despite starting the better there would be no return trip to the national stadium for the Northern League outfit.

Rylands goalkeeper Graeme McCall was called into action in the opening minutes to punch a dangerous Michael Richardson free kick to safety. Veteran striker Graeme Armstrong managed to get the ball past McCall in the 20th minute but his header from a corner was cleared off the line.
Having withstood their visitor’s initial onslaught Rylands started to get into the game with Andy Scarisbrick, Ste Milne and Paul Shanley all going close before the half time break.
The second half started with McCall coming to his sides rescue reacting well to deny Amar Purewal when the Hebburn man took advantage of some sloppy defending by Rylands.
After this wake-up call, the home side started to take control with man of the match Scarisbrick at the heart of the action, constantly leading the charge, his surging runs through the midfield setting up numerous chances for his colleagues.
Nevitt looped a shot over the bar and Milne dragged a shot wide before the game’s decisive moment arrived.
Warren Gerrard’s cross from the right-wing found Nevitt, controlling the ball he created a yard of space in which to drill the ball past the outstretched arm of Hebburn goalkeeper Mark Foden into the bottom corner of the net.
Moments later Foden bravely smothered the ball at the feet of Nevitt as the striker raced onto a Scarsbrick through ball.
With Hebburn throwing more men forward in a desperate bid to hold onto the Vase so recently won they started to leave more space at the back for Ryland raider to race into. Joe Coveney, Nevitt, Milne and Kane Drummond all went close to adding a second to kill the game off but could not hit the target, Milne going the closest his shot deflecting off a defender onto the bar and into Foden’s hands,
With the fourth official indicting 5 added minutes, Hebburn bombarded the Rylands goal launching the ball into the Rylands area, no sooner had it been cleared it was back in the mix. Each time it was met by desperate defenders throwing their bodies in its way to block its path. Chaos abounded in the six-yard box as efforts were cleared off the line by Scarisbrick and Sam Sheen, before referee Scott Simpson called time on proceedings.
Warrington Ryland’s next Buildbase FA Vase date is next Saturday 15th May when they will host Midland League Premier Division team Walsall Wood, again behind closed doors, with a place in the Wembley final a week later at stake.
Warrington Rylands: McCall, Gerrard, Tinning, Kenny, Smith, Sheen (Coveney 45’), Doyle, Scarisbrick, Nevitt (Denman 90+3’), Milne, Shanley (Drummond 58’)

Unused subs: Emery, Freeman, Lees, F. Potter
Goals: Nevitt (60’)

Hebburn Town : Foden, Mullen, Carson, Storey, Lough, Spence, McKeown, T. Potter (Lambert 75’), Richardson, Purewal (Martin 62’), Armstrong

Unused subs: Coulson, Elefthheriadis, Donaghy, Hudson, Taylor


About Author

Experienced journalist for more than 35 years. Managing Director of magazine publishing group with six in-house titles and on-line daily newspaper for Warrington. Experienced writer, photographer, PR consultant and media expert having written for local, regional and national newspapers. Specialties: PR, media, social networking, photographer, networking, advertising, sales, media crisis management. Patron Tim Parry Johnathan Ball Foundation for Peace. Trustee Warrington Disability Partnership. Former Chairman of Warrington Town FC.

Leave A Comment