Plans to rebuild collapsed wall at 192-year-old church


PLANS to rebuild a section of collapsed wall in the grounds of the 192-year-old Grade 2 Listed St Mary’s Church, Lymm have been submitted to Warrington Borough Council.

The dangerous condition of the wall has made it necessary to seal off parts of the churchyard for some time, preventing access to many family graves and the War Memorial.
The planning application seeks permission to rebuild the collapsed section of the wall and build new, stone-clad structural supporting piers against the wall.
Where possible, existing stones will be used to rebuild the wall. But some matching, new stones will be used.
Reports being studied by council planners say the proposals include a new opening in the existing wall, adjacent to the church car park, to allow easy access into the graveyard. A new path will replace the existing path which has reached the end of its serviceable life.
The new entrance into the graveyard and the new and replaced paths will provide a safter, all-weather access into the churchyard.
St Mary;s Church is believed to be the fourth church on the site. A Saxon church is mentioned in the 1086 Domesday Book. This was replaced by a Norman church while a third church was built, probably in the early 14th century.
The present church was built in sandstone in 1852.

Overall, the works proposed are believed to be necessary to enable safe and appropriate public use of the graveyard.
The design suitably reflects the setting and harm to the Listed areas is considered minimal, the reports state. Additional buttresses to the wall which differ from the original are considered necessary to ensure structural stability and integrity for the future.
Last year, a temporary bridge was provided by the borough council to allow access to the War Memorial on Remembrance Sunday.
An archaeologist with a watching brief will be present during all ground works. If any human remains are exposed, or are otherwise encountered during the works, all work in the vicinity must be stopped immediately and the remains lightly covered with soil. The Diocesan Registrar must be notified.
The directions of the Diocesan Registrar must then be followed.
Maintenance of the churchyard at St Mary’s is the responsibility of Warrington Borough Council.
Council planners are now studying the proposals.


About Author

Leave A Comment