Hockey club’s women pick-up 3-1 win


WARRINGTON Hockey Club’s Women’s 1st Team picked up a 3-1 away win under the lights against Deeside in a late 4.30pm start.

Warrington had a nightmare start and found themselves 1-0 down after five minutes. Instead of crumbling the women brushed it off, kept their heads and soon found their footing in the game.
The equaliser came not long before half-time, Louise Unsworth, who caused the hosts plenty of problems, dribbled past defenders before putting a pass on a plate for Abi Hynes who gratefully tapped in a deserved leveller.
The visitors went on to dominate the second half. Deeside looked to stifle Warrington by closely marking Unsworth and Helen Fairhurst but this only opened up gaps for Lauren Hayes and Sarah Gregson to step into the midfield and control the game.
The deadlock was broken when Gregson drove the ball into the dee before finding Fairhurst who showed great composure to pick out Hynes at the far post who confidently put away her second goal of the game. Fairhurst then got her name on the scoresheet to extend the lead, making space in the dee to unleash a strong shot which deflected off of a defender and into the goal.
Deeside pushed forward late on but were unable to secure a consolation thanks to a steadfast defence marshalled by Jessica Jones and Olivia Mason.

Warrington Hockey Men’s 1st Team suffered a 4-1 home defeat against runaway league leaders Brooklands.
Brooklands came with a large squad, and an intense tempo which Warrington were keen to match.
The visitors looked to impose themselves on the game but struggled with an aggressive press implemented by the hosts which initiated an end-to-end game of hockey. Tom Lloyd in the Warrington goal excelled with numerous impressive saves but luck deserted him as Brooklands took the lead. Pinball in the Warrington dee led to the ball ricocheting off the post to a Brooklands forward who applied a cool finish.
Brooklands soon doubled their lead with a well worked goal but were immediately pegged back by Warrington. Harvey Mason’s probing run won his team a short corner which was then dispatched by Richard Cook into the bottom corner to see the sides go in 2-1 at halftime.
Warrington went all-out-attack pushing for an equaliser and were unlucky on a couple of occasions.
Sam Pinion’s reverse stick effort sailed just over the ball while Tim Berger prompted a great reflex save from the Brooklands goalkeeper.
As Warrington continued to push, Brooklands managed to take advantage of gaps opening up and added a couple more goals to secure a flattering scoreline.
Warrington Women’s Development Team had their game cancelled because of a hailstorm and the Men’s 2nd team did not have a fixture.


About Author

Leave A Comment