Busy weekend for Warrington hockey men


IT was a busy weekend for Warrington Hockey Club Men’s 2nd Team as they faced Deeside on Saturday and Macclesfield on Sunday.

Warrington hit the ground running against Deeside, Sam Jowett scoring his first goal for the club,
beating the goalkeeper at the second attempt having been released by Sam Pinion.
Pinion grabbed his second assist soon after when his flick on goal was diverted in by Iain Richards to make it 2-0.
Warrington then made it 3-0 before halftime when Chris Ashworth slipped the ball to Rob Powell who
clinically found the bottom corner.
Deeside mounted an unbelievable comeback in the second half to see the game end 3-3. Their first
was a tame shot on target which took a lucky deflection off defender Andy Powell and past
goalkeeper Nick Parry. Second goal was an unstoppable shot into the top left corner whilst the equaliser came through a goal line scramble in the dying seconds.
Warrington’s tired legs moved into a very tough home game on Sunday against a well-drilled Macclesfield. With short availability due to injuries and personal commitments Warrington struggled to beat a high press and ultimately lost 4-0. Top performances came from Parry in goal who made numerous saves, Alastair Smith in defence who repelled wave after wave of attack and Nick Bottomley in midfield who put in an all-action display and was unlucky to have a goal disallowed.

Warrington Women’s 1st Team shared the spoils in a 1-1 home draw with Macclesfield.
Warrington dominated the first half, letting their short passing game do the talking with Gloria Roden-Lui and Louise Unsworth causing problems on the left whilst Laura Herst, Helen Fairhurst, and Emma Thelwell probed on the right. Somewhat against the run of play Macclesfield took the lead, after pinball in the Warrington dee the ball was bundled over the line and suddenly Warrington were chasing the game.
The equaliser came with 10 minutes remaining through an excellent team move. Jessica Jones released Sarah Gregson who burst into midfield before passing to Kara Doyle on the left, the ball was then transferred across to Fairhurst on the right through Unsworth. Fairhurst drove to the byline and picked out Jenny Fox at the far post who applied a composed finish into the bottom corner.
Warrington Men’s 1st Team fell to a 2-0 away defeat against Deeside.
Warrington’s slick possession game allowed them to take control but were undone by an unfortunate rub of the green. In a rare foray forward a Deeside striker bore down on Thomas Lloyd in the Warrington goal. Lloyd took the ball before the striker illegally kicked the ball into the empty goal – an incident missed by both umpires.
Warrington thought they’d equalised minutes later, a trademark Richard Cook dragflick found the bottom corner. Following some Deeside complaints the umpires adjudged that Cook’s attempt on goal came from outside their dee and the goal was disallowed.
Warrington were unlucky not to get on the scoresheet; James Warburton and Harvey Mason narrowly missed the target. And as the visitors threw caution to the wind Deeside were able to double their lead with a short corner of their own to seal their victory.
Warrington Women’s Development Team had their game postponed due to a frozen pitch.


About Author

Leave A Comment