Warrington Wolves and Burgess secure first win against 12-man Hull


SAM Burgess picked up his first Super League win as Warrington Wolves coach as they defeated Hull FC 36-10 at the Halliwell Jones Stadium.

The big talking point of the game was a controversial red card handed to Hull’s Nu Brown shortly before half time following a 40 minutes where the visitors had defied the weakness of their line-up due to injuries and suspension and were well in the game.

Brown was sent off by referee Marcus Griffiths following an accidental clash of heads with Ben Currie, in the latest disciplinary incident to overshadow the rugby at the start of the Super League season as part of the RFL’s new law directives.

The game was finely poised at 6-all at that point, the subsequent penalty enabling Josh Thewlis to kick Warrington to an 8-6 half time lead.

They had started brightly, Danny Walker scooting over from dummy half inside five minutes, and it looked like it might be a comfortable night at the office.

But Hull missing a raft of first teamers dug in and got their reward following a few repeat sets, creating space on the left from a scrum for Jack Walker to put Lewis Martin in, minutes after Liam Sutcliffe had been held up in the same area by Thewlis.

The Warrington right edge looked like a weakness Hull could exploit, and so Currie was shifted over to that side to help out. After Tex Hoy had failed to find touch with a penalty, Currie brought the ball back and was wrapped up in the tackle but was slow getting up – with blood pouring from his head forcing the game to be stopped.

There didn’t appear to be any real issues with the tackle but after a stoppage, the referee produced a red card to the astonishment of most in the crowd, with TV replays showing what looked a clear accidental clash of heads.

In the second half, there was another talking point when Hoy took out Matty Ashton in the act of scoring a try with a high shot, resulting in a penalty try, but no card.

Despite their adversity, and a man down, Hull kept in the game with a well-taken Walker try, momentum taking him over the line after a last tackle kick had bounced back to him for 16-10.

Sam Powell went over from close range on 55 minutes to give Warrington a 22-10 advantage but it was only after Toby King’s try on his return on 63 that they could breathe a bit easier.

James Harrison finished off a Lachlan Fitzgibbon break late on and right on the hooter, Connor Wrench slid over in the corner as Warrington Wolves bounced back from last week’s defeat at Catalans Dragons.

Warrington Wolves: Dufty, Thewlis, King, Wrench, Ashton, Hayes, Drinkwater, Harrison, Walker, Vaughan, Holroyd, Fitzgibbon, Currie. Subs: Philbin, Musgrove, Powell, Wood (Ratchford).

Hull: Walker, Barron, Sutcliffe, McIntosh, Martin, Hoy, Smith, Ashworth, N Brown, J Brown, Okunbor, Staveley, Lane. Subs: Gardiner, Severs, Balmforth, Litten (Laidlaw).

Halliwell Jones Stadium

The Haliwell Jones lit up at night – Picture Rob Youd


About Author

Journalist and sport content specialist, who is also editor of Love Rugby League. Formerly ran the official website of the Carling Cup, as well as operating a digital services business in Warrington.

Leave A Comment