Hockey women pick up a fine 4-2 victory


WARRINGTON Hockey Club’s Women’s 1st team picked up a fine 4-2 victory at Wilmslow.

The game started well with Warrington dominating and a passage of play down the right from Laura Herst and Helen Fairhurst gave Louise Unsworth a shot on goal which Jenny Fox diverted into the net.
The lead was doubled shortly afterwards, Fairhurst’s short corner injection found Steph Quayle and her strong hit found the goal through a slight deflection off a defender. The hosts struck back from a short corner of their own which was deflected in from their striker at the far post.
Wilmslow found an equaliser at the start of the second half from another short corner. A lifted effort into a crowd found the back of the net – Warrington protested the legality of the goal but it was given by the umpires. Buoyed by a sense of injustice Warrington rallied and clicked back into gear,
Emma Thelwell and Sarah Gregson’s forays forward caused Wilmslow plenty of issues. The breakthrough came from yet another short corner, with Quayle once again driving a powerful shot past the Wilmslow goalkeeper.
The points were sealed late on when Unsworth stole in on the right wing, committing defenders before
sliding the ball to Quayle who had a simple tap-in to complete her hattrick.
Warrington Women’s Development team made it four games unbeaten with a 2-2 draw away at Golborne. Amy Molden and Kara Doyle were on the scoresheet in an exciting derby.
Warrington Men’s 1st team bounced back to winning ways with a commanding 6-0 home win over Knutsford.
Harvey Mason opened the scoring after a surgical pass from Richard Cook found his run, with Mason calmly committing the goalkeeper before flicking into the net. The second goal soon followed, a cute ong corner routine saw the ball crashed in and Rob Powell expertly deflected the ball into the roof of
the net. Warrington made it 3-0 just before halftime, James Warburton driving half the pitch before pulling the ball back to Andrew Gould who couldn’t miss at the far post.

Warburton turned scorer in the second half, going on another mazy run he wrongfooted the Knutsford defence before drilling a shot into the bottom corner. Carl Fairhurst grabbed the fifth, shooting first time with too much power for the goalkeeper. Mason then bookended the scoring, latching onto a Fairhurst pass he took on the last defender before clinically finishing past theexasperated goalkeeper.
Knutsford got some revenge as their 2nd team defeated Warrington Men’s 2nd Team 5-0 at Knutsford.
Warrington held their own in the first half with strong midfield performances from Luke Skilander,
Iain Richards, Steve Fiddy and Dan Sutton standing out. However, just before the break Knutsford fortuitously grabbed the lead after some pinball in the Warrington area. The second half started poorly for the visitors, an injury to Skilander led to a loss of momentum and as legs began to tire Knutsford were able to boost their goal difference.


About Author

Leave A Comment