Impressive 3-2 victory for hockey women


WARRINGTON Women’s hockey team picked up an impressive 3-2 victory away at Alderley Edge.

The match didn’t start as planned for Warrington as Alderley took a quick lead in what turned into a
tetchy affair with both sides putting in strong challenges and exchanging verbals. However the first half flew by and Warrington remained 1-0 down at the break.
Sarah Gregson grabbed an equaliser shortly after halftime, exchanging a one-two with Helen
Fairhurst before sweeping a shot past the Alderley goalkeeper.
Fairhurst then turned goal-scorer, striking an effort into the goal from the top of the dee after great work from Jo Jakey and Amy Molden. Alderley pegged Warrington back, scoring an equaliser against the run of play, a rare moment of joy for their forwards who had been stifled by an impressive Warrington defence featuring Olivia Mason and Jessica Jones.
The winner came with 10 minutes remaining. Emma Thelwell capped an outstanding performance
with great play down the right and a perfect assist for Fairhurst to smash in her second goal of the game.
Warrington Women’s Development Squad fell to a 6-1 away defeat at Sandbach.

Due to availability the Development Squad only took 7 players down the M6 but put in a game
performance against the league leaders. Katherine Parker scored the only goal of the game for
Warrington, slotting in a composed finish after a great assist from Bella Thornton.
Warrington held their own against a much more experienced side with juniors Aditi and Maddison
standing out with confident displays. Daniella Sutton and Frankie Hayes both put in impressive performances, but Chloe Bull deservedly took the player of the match award having made a number of superb saves to keep the Sandbach goal count as low as possible.
Warrington Men’s team suffered a narrow 2-1 defeat away at promotion rivals Bowdon.
As with the week before Warrington approached the game with four fewer substitutes than their
rivals which would have a large impact on proceedings. Warrington started the game well with a
handful of probing attacks, but Bowdon struck first. A misplaced pass out of defence led to a string of
slick passes ending with a tidy finish at the back post. Richard Cook scored an equaliser just before
halftime with a trademark drag-flick from a penalty corner to lift the visitors.
After a strong first half, Warrington tired in the second half as Bowdon continued to utilise their
squad depth. Bowdon laid siege to the Warrington goal and scored the decider with a lifted shot that
made its way past the impressive Tom Lloyd in goal. Warrington pushed for an equaliser with Harvey
Mason an excellent outlet and David Hales, making his first-team debut showing excellent commitment. However, it wasn’t enough to prevent Warrington falling to their second defeat of the season.
Warrington Men’s 2nd team fixture was postponed.


About Author

Leave A Comment