Big Jubilee Lunch

Rylands show title credentials as they topple league leaders Marine


by Garry Clarke Pictures John Hopkins

WARRINGTON Rylands showed their title credentials as they toppled league leaders Marine 0-2.

In what manager Dave McNabb described as an “exceptional performance from start to finish” Rylands well and truly kept themselves in the promotion hunt with a hard-earned victory, with keeper McCall, pulling off some outstanding saves.

Marine were the third team to face Warrington Rylands while sitting on top of the NPL West table, and like Mossley and Workington before them were knocked off their perch.

Gaining revenge for a 1-4 defeat at Gorsey Lane earlier in the season, Rylands laid down a marker of their intent for the rest of the season inflicting only the second home defeat of the season on the championship favourites.

Marine shaded a frantic, and at times scrappy, first half in which two evenly matches teams largely cancelled each other out. Playing a more direct game than their visitors the home side had the better chances in the first half with Mark Howarth blazing a shot over the bar in the 15th minutes, while Neil Kengi and Owen Watkinson drew good saves from Graeme McCall.

Playing on the counterattack Rylands lively front line was causing the Marine defence all sorts of problems, with several shooting opportunities only being denied by last ditch tackling while goalkeeper Kayleigh Passant saved well with his feet to deny Callum Dolan and Kane Drummond.

As the half was drawing to a close Rylands appeals for a penalty when Drummond was tripped were dismissed by referee Andy Sykes.

The complexion of the game changed two minutes into the second half when Rylands were awarded a free-kick just outside the Marine penalty area. Former Mariner David Webb stepped up to bend his free kick around the wall just out of the reach of Passant, who at full stretch could only fingertip it into the top corner of his net.

After Warrington Rylands had forced a couple of corners in quick succession shortly after the goal, the majority of the remainder of the second half was played facing the Rylands goal as wave after wave of Marine attack floundered on the rocks of a resolute Rylands defence.

When Marine managed to get past the blue-shirted defenders they found McCall in no mood to surrender his clean sheet, in the 61st minute he pulled off a miraculous save at point blank range from George Newall.

Rylands almost extended their lead in the 63rd minute when Declan Walker worked a short corner routine with Drummond which set up Walker to fire an angled drive into the roof of the net. Unfortunately, the linesman adjudged Walker to be offside.

Rylands made the game safe in the 84th minute. Dolan blocked an attempted clearance, working hard he chased down the ball, holding off a defender he cut inside and hammered a stunning drive past a helpless Passant into the roof of the net.

Such is the tightness at the top of the table, Marine dropped to 2nd 2 points behind Workington (4-2 winners at 1874 Northwich, with Rylands still in 3rd 2 points further back with Leek Town and Runcorn Linnets hot on their heels.

MARINE – Passant, Solomon-Davies, Hughes, Winnard, Shaw, Teale, Watkinson, Barrigan, Newall, Howath, Kengi. Subs Irwin, Lynch, Cummins Subs not used Wignall, Reilly.

RYLANDS – McCall, Walker, Allen (Tinning), Egerton (Smith), Neild, Buxton, Doyle, Webb, Dolan, Scarisbrick, Drummond (Hughes). Subs not used Gerrard, Simpson.

GOALS – Rylands Walker 47, Dolan 84



About Author

Leave A Comment