If you live in a country house or decide to spend your autumn holidays in the country, it is important to think about what you can do here in order to have fun and put your free time to good use. Here are some ideas of what you can do in the garden during your holidays.
Fun in the autumn garden
If the weather is fine outside, sitting at the computer or in front of the TV means that you’re really missing out on a lot of fun activities. Indeed, in the garden you can find so many interesting and exciting things to do that will not only allow you to relax, but also help you learn a lot of new things with your child. For example, this could be:
- An autumn photo shoot. The garden at this time of the year is no less beautiful than in the spring. And all season long, it is covered with gorgeous golden leaves. Have a photo shoot for fun and make some memories. If you wish to take some pictures with your child, allow them to play around and make funny poses. You can take pictures of each other and capture the nature around you – autumn flowers in a flower bed, foliage fallen from trees, ripe crops, etc.
- Get busy with land art. This is a form of art where you can really get creative and use any natural materials. These can be pebbles, leaves, chestnuts, rowan twigs, and everything that can be found in your garden in autumn.
- Create an herbarium. Collect different leaves and make a beautiful hand-crafted collage for decorating the house. To make it even fancier, use a photo frame with glass for your herbarium so you can hang it on the wall.
- Make bird feeders. It’s time to take care of the birds that visit your garden. Make a DIY bird feeder and fill it with seeds. It will come in handy very soon. In the meantime, you can watch birds flying away to warm lands with your children.
- Have a picnic. A picnic is a great pastime for both adults and children. And the autumn garden is the best location for this. If you wish, you can bake potatoes in a fire, fry kebabs, sausages, or marshmallows. Or you can make sandwiches and hot tea at home with a snack and enjoy it in the garden.
- Play outdoor games. Many parents complain that it is difficult to pull a child away from a computer game. But maybe they just don’t know what fun activities they can do outside? Show them the fun games of your childhood or make up a game that will be both fun and informative.
Preparing for the winter season
What do all summer residents do when they visit their summer house in the fall? That’s right, they begin to prepare it for winter. This time of year, the garden needs cleaning and extra preparations like mulching and weeding.
Important things to do in the garden during fall:
- Harvesting. If it is not late autumn and the crops are not yet fully harvested, start by harvesting fruits and berries, which you can later turn into real culinary masterpieces, so that on a cold winter evening you can have a cup of hot tea with homemade jam.
- Prepare the soil for winter. In the fall, the garden must be plowed and fertilized. This will avoid its depletion and will guarantee a good harvest in the new season.
- Plantings are prepared for wintering. Some horticultural crops need additional insulation for the winter. These include strawberries, grapes, apple trees, roses. And some plants need to be dug up for the winter and stored in the basement until spring.
- Fallen leaves and dried branches are removed. All this can then be composted to make natural fertilizer.
Gardening is actually not as easy as it might seem at first glance. After all, even if in the summer it was possible to grow a good harvest, it must be harvested correctly. For example, inexperienced summer residents are in no hurry to pick apples and pears, believing that they will ripen better on a tree and will be tastier. But this is not the case. They will only lose their taste, or even fall to the ground and start to rot, so they can’t be stored for a long time. In addition, the tree will not have time to rest before winter, and will be susceptible to various diseases.
What a gardener should do in the fall:
- Plant rooted currant cuttings, trim the raspberries and thin out the gooseberry bushes.
- Dig up the soil around the berry bushes. You also need to fertilize them.
- Lettuce growers should warm up the greenhouse and set up watering. In the autumn-winter period, plants need less moisture, so watering should not be too abundant, otherwise rot may appear.
- When using greenhouses, it is necessary to decontaminate its frames and racks. For this, gardeners use bleach or 40% formalin solution.
- At the beginning of autumn, it is already possible to sow dill, parsley and celery in greenhouses.
- In October, trees are pruned, their trunks are cleaned from dead bark and whitewashed.
- In the middle of autumn, fruit trees are fertilized.
- If the fall is dry, the trees need additional watering, but not as often as in the summer.
- If there are young trees on the site, it is necessary to tie their branches. This will protect the tree from damage if a lot of snow falls in winter.
- At the very end of autumn, when frost starts to appear outside, it is necessary to drain the water from the barrels and pipes, remove all garden equipment and put it back into the shed.
Autumn in the country should be spent with benefit. Adults here can do many useful things to prepare the garden for winter, and children will spend an unforgettable vacation in the fresh air, which will definitely be remembered for a long time.