Warrington-Worldwide.co.uk incorporates the Village Life, Culcheth Life, Frodsham Life & Lymm Life magazines.

Long trip awaits for Warrington Town as season resumes


WARRINGTON Town’s season is set to resume with a 270-mile round-trip in the FA Trophy early next month.

While confirmation is still outstanding on whether fans can attend games again, which will no doubt be impacted by the local tier announcement, the Northern Premier League is pressing ahead with re-starting the season in the week commencing December 7.

Clubs have been given the option to play their scheduled game on December 5 if both opponents can agree, but it has been confirmed that the Yellows game at home to Matlock Town on that date has been postponed.

It means they will return to action with a long trip to Marske United in the next round of the FA Trophy on Tuesday December 8.

The previously scheduled fixture list will then resume, with a trip to Hyde United on Saturday December 12 and a home game against Ashton United on Saturday December 19.

If the Yellows progress in the FA Trophy, the next rounds are scheduled to be played on Tuesday December 15 and Tuesday December 22.

They haven’t played, or indeed trained, since the 3-1 defeat to FC United on Tuesday November 3.

The league season has been extended until Saturday May 22, meaning the play-off final will now take place on Saturday May 29, to accommodate the games that have been called off during the latest lockdown period.

For Warrington, the games missed were trips to Grantham Town, Stafford Rangers, Stalybridge Celtic and Morpeth Town, which will all now be re-arranged for later in the campaign.

Meanwhile, two players who won’t be part of the Yellows squad when training resumes are Craig Carney and Joel Amado.

Both only arrived at the Cantilever Park in the summer, but have failed to make the desired impact, with Carney restricted to a solitary substitute appearance in the FA Trophy penalty shoot-out win over Lancaster City on October 31.

Former Trafford left-back Joel Amado made three starts and two substitute appearances, picking up a knock in the opening game of the season at Basford United, and was hauled off at half-time of the 3-1 defeat to FC United.

Competition for places at left-back had been heightened with arrival of Matthew Taylor and Eddie Clarke in the weeks prior to lockdown.


About Author

Journalist and sport content specialist, who is also editor of Love Rugby League. Formerly ran the official website of the Carling Cup, as well as operating a digital services business in Warrington.

Leave A Comment