Big Jubilee Lunch

Table-topping Warrington Town now 13 hours without conceding a league goal


WARRINGTON Town’s extraordinary run continued as they beat Mickleover Sports 1-0.

Dylan Vassallo’s early goal was enough but it was a stern test against a Mickleover side who had the better of the second half.

It now means Warrington, who were this week named Evo-Stik Premier Division Club of the Month, have gone 13 hours without conceding a goal and a total of eight games unbeaten.

Warrington got off to the perfect start after a lively opening, Mitch Duggan’s cross was only partly cleared and Vassallo struck a left foot volley right in to the bottom corner.

Given how strong the Yellows had been defensively, to get a goal up early doors was a boost, though the visitors put together some nice football in the first half.

But it was Warrington that had the majority of the openings, Tony Gray scuffing a shot straight in to the keeper’s arms after a slip in the Mickleover defence had given him possession.

Mickleover were having half looks at the other end, a well-hit dipping half-volley by Evan Garnett landing on the roof of Tony McMillan’s goal.

The best chance to double Warrington’s lead came on the half hour mark when Gray linked up with Jake Kirby, making his first start for the club, and took the ball on from a one-two, gave the keeper the eye but then placed his shot just wide of the keeper’s left hand post.

Gray would bring the best out of Lewis King in the Mickleover goal in first half stoppage time, his shot pushed out one handed by the keeper to keep the score 1-0 at the break.

Warrington got off to a sluggish start in the second half and they never really recovered from it, as Mickleover dominated long periods.

The visitors looked certain to equalise on 49 minutes when McMillan saved and the rebound fell to Jimmy Phillips, and somehow the ‘keeper got back to keep it out.

That would prove to be the best chance Mickleover would have, the only other real opening coming in the final minute when a deep cross was headed over the bar at the back post by substitute Isai Marselia.

The win returns Warrington to the back of the league, after they were displaced last night by Basford United, ahead of the FA Cup game at home to AFC Telford United on Saturday.

Vassallo scores

Picture John Hopkins

Warrington Town: McMillan, Duggan, Whittle, Garrity, Roberts, Raven, Mackreth (George), Evans, Gray (Amis), Kirby, Vassallo (Dixon). Unused Subs: Carden, Reid.
Mickleover Sports: King, Scott, Warren, McGrath, Mills, Turner, Cribley, Ravenhill, Jarman, Garnett (Marselia), Phillips. Unused Subs: Robinson, Belgrave, Roberts, Burrows.

CLICK HERE for a gallery of pictures by John Hopkins


About Author

Journalist and sport content specialist, who is also editor of Love Rugby League. Formerly ran the official website of the Carling Cup, as well as operating a digital services business in Warrington.

Leave A Comment