A Warrington business owner has issued a warning to homeowners after research revealed there were 245 domestic kitchen fires within the Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service area last year.
The research, which was carried out by Paul Clark, owner of oven valeting firm Ovenu Warrington, also found out that 196 of the fires were caused as a direct result of a cooking appliance.
The findings show a year-on-year increase in the number of domestic kitchen fires, with 231 reported in 2015, while 247 were caused in 2014. The number of cooking appliance-related fires also rose, as 181 were reported in 2015, down from the 201 in 2014.
Paul believes the volume of kitchen fires is too high and is warning homeowners to be aware of the dangers associated with kitchen fires and improperly maintained cooking appliances.
He said: “There have been over 700 kitchen fires with more than 500 of these caused by cooking appliances throughout the region since 2014, which is simply not good enough. More needs to be done to raise awareness of the risks associated with cooking appliances and equipment.
“Human error is just one of the potential causes of a fire in the kitchen or within the home, but in some cases it may be that ageing appliances need to be serviced or given a thorough clean.”
Ovenu Warrington provides its environmentally-friendly oven valeting service to home and businesses throughout the town.
Paul added: “Unnecessary fires are a huge strain on public services, especially fire servicemen and women within the Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service. Hopefully there will be a significant decrease in the years to come, and we can eliminate these potentially life-threatening kitchen fires.”
You can also like the company’s Facebook page by visiting http://www.facebook.com/ovenuwarrington.