Big Jubilee Lunch

Yellows return to winning ways in style


WARRINGTON Town celebrated their first victory in a month in style as they defeated high-flying Rushall Olympic 2-0 at Cantilever Park.

It was the first victory for new manager Paul Carden, as the Yellows kept their play-off hopes alive by defeating one of their rivals to earn three valuable league points.

Although chances were at a premium, Warrington had most of the possession in the first half, with the visitors always looking dangerous on the break.

Warrington’s Danny Hattersley had a chance after just four minutes but put his shot straight into the keeper’s arms. Moments later Rushall threatend as the dangerous looking Alex Reid beat the off-side trap but keeper Tony McMillan saved well.

On 10 minutes the visitors had another chance as McMillan was beaten but Andy Nicholas managed to clear the goalward bound ball.

Warrington had a great chance to score on 20 minutes as Scott Metcalfe saw his effort cleared off the line and then Ciaran Kilheeney blasted over the bar as he slipped while lining up his shot. Back came Rushall as Reid created more problems in the Yellows defence but fired wide.

On 27 minutes Metcalfe created another chance for the Yellows but fired wide.

The deadlock was eventually broken a minute before the break as more good work from Metcalfe set up Kilheeney who made no mistake this time as he buried the ball into the back of the net from inside the box to make it 1-0 at the interval.

In a tight second half chances were few and far between. The introduction of Samuel Ilesanmi for Kilheeney with 20 minutes to go injected some pace into the game.

With 15 minutes to go Hattersley had a great chance but shot over the bar and with the clock ticking down the Yellows looked the more likely to score as Eddie Toner saw his effort well saved by the keeper.

Warrington’s pressure was eventually rewarded in the 84th minute when Man of the Match Mitch Duggan saw his shot scuffed by Rushall’s veteran Henry Eze who saw the ball loop into his own net to give the Yellows a deserved victory, three valuable league points and a clean sheet.

Next up for Warrington is a trip to Ashton United in the League Cup on Tuesday evening, kick off 7.45pm followed by the visit of Barwell next Saturday (November 19).

Players observe a minutes silence for remembrance weekend - Picture John Hopkins

Players observe a minutes silence for remembrance weekend – Picture John Hopkins

Kilheeney scores -Picture John Hopkins

Kilheeney scores -Picture John Hopkins

Own goal! John Hopkins

Own goal! John Hopkins


Dggan is congratulated by Sam Ilesanmi Picture John Hopkins

Warrington Town: Tony McMillan, Peter Wylie, Andy Nicholas, Sean Williams, Craig Robinson, James McCarten, Eddie Toner, Mitch Duggan, Ciaran  Kilheeney (c) Danny Hattersley, Scott Metcalfe. Subs Sam Ilesanmi (Kilheeney) Scott Harries (Metcalfe),  Steven Gillespie, Kristian Platt (Hattersley), Karl Wills.

Rushall Olmpic Jose Veiga, Aris Christoporou (c) Isaac Cooper, Aaron Forde, Joe Hull, Joel Kettle, Mo Diop, Sam Whittall, Luke Bottomer, Henry Eze, Alex Reid. Subs: Jordan Fitzpatrick, Jak Jeys, Dominic Dell, George Forsyth, Mickael Partodikromd.



About Author

Experienced journalist for more than 40 years. Managing Director of magazine publishing group with three in-house titles and on-line daily newspaper for Warrington. Experienced writer, photographer, PR consultant and media expert having written for local, regional and national newspapers. Specialties: PR, media, social networking, photographer, networking, advertising, sales, media crisis management. Director Warrington Chamber of Commerce Patron Tim Parry Johnathan Ball Foundation for Peace. Trustee Warrington Disability Partnership. Former Chairman of Warrington Town FC.

Leave A Comment