Warrington-Worldwide.co.uk incorporates the Village Life, Culcheth Life, Frodsham Life & Lymm Life magazines.

Wolves punish Hull errors


AFTER gifting Hull a 10 point start from their own errors Warrington Wolves eventually turned

on the style to run out worthy 40-18 winners at the Halliwell Jones

Stadium with man-of-the match Ryan Atkins grabbing a hat-trick of tries.
The turning point came early in the second half with the game finely balanced at 24-18 when Hull’s Willie Manu was sin binned for persistent holding down in the tackle, as the visitors tried to slow down the game.
While he was off the field the Wolves ran in two tries to secure a victory which looked highly unlikely after the early exchanges, which saw Hull lead 10-0 in as many minutes.
The Wolves were punished for some sloppy play as Kirk Yeaman opened the scoring after just three minutes but Danny Tickle couldn’t land the extras from wide out. Then on six minutes the visitors extended their lead as Manu sliced through some woeful tackling and Tickle made no mistake this time.
Warrington eventually got in the game following a charge down which was scooped up by the strong running Atkins who danced through a couple of would be tackles to race over. Gareth O’Brien added the extras to make it 6-10.
On 17 minutes Joel Monaghan had an effort ruled out for a forward pass and moments later the visitors extended their lead when Joe Westerman strode through some woeful tackling with Tickle again on target to make it 6-16.
Warrington gradually got back into the game and were rewarded for some fine attacking rugby as Atkins sent winger Chris Riley in at the corner. O’Brien landed a superb touchline conversion in windy conditions to make it 12-16.
The introduction of Michael Monaghan from the bench for his first start in three months provided a much need lift for the Wolves.
Hull, who were being persistently being penalised for holding down in the tackle then gave away further penalties for high shots on Lee Briers and Paul Wood and Warrington took advantage as Briers opened up the defence to send Atkins over for his second try on 33 minutes with O’Brien again on target to make it 18-6.
A Danny Tickle penalty levelled the scores right on the break.
With the opening 10 minutes of the second half pretty tight it took some individual brilliance from Briers to re-gain the lead for the Wolves as he twisted and turned his way over the line, scoring on his back by reaching out over his head. O’Brien added the extras to make it 24-18.
Then came the sin binning of Manu with the Wolves taking full advantage of the extra man as Atkins powered over to complete his hat-trick and then fine handling by Ben Harrison sent Garreth Carvell diving over, with O’Brien on target with both to make it 36-18. Inbetween Chris Bridge put Joel Monoaghan clear but again it was ruled out for a forward pass.
Seven minutes from time it was third time lucky for Monaghan as Bridge put him in at the corner to complete the scoring as O’Brien couldn’t land the extras.

Man of the match Ryan Atkins touches down

Chris Riley gets in at the corner

For more pictures from the game CLICK HERE


About Author

Experienced journalist for more than 35 years. Managing Director of magazine publishing group with six in-house titles and on-line daily newspaper for Warrington. Experienced writer, photographer, PR consultant and media expert having written for local, regional and national newspapers. Specialties: PR, media, social networking, photographer, networking, advertising, sales, media crisis management. Patron Tim Parry Johnathan Ball Foundation for Peace. Trustee Warrington Disability Partnership. Former Chairman of Warrington Town FC.

Leave A Comment