Big Jubilee Lunch

Town back on track


Warrington Town 2 Kidsgrove Athletic 1

WARRINGTON Town got their league promotion campaign back on track as they came from behind to defeat Kidsgrove Athletic with a thrilling finish at Cantilever Park.
The game produced a largely uneventful first half with the second period being in total contrast.
The only first half chance fell to Kevin Hannon. The ball broke to him following a midfield tussle but his long range shot went wide. Kidsgrove then enjoyed a brief period of dominance when initially Matty Rhead broke away from the covering Town defence to force a save from Danny Morton who held at the second attempt.
Then Michael Lennon opened up space to fire in a shot that was well saved by Morton. It was the 27th minute before the next chance of note was created. It fell to Chris Moores, who was making his second return to the club following a recent spell at Cammell Laird. His long range effort drifted wide of the post though.
A three man move saw the ball break to Michael Ellison but his thirty yard strike also failed to find the target.
The remaining chances of the half fell to Kevin Hannon and Tony Dunne, both from headers. Kevin’s was saved and Tony’s just cleared the bar. Half time 0-0
The second half was a far more entertaining spectacle and Town started a promising move on the break which ended in a great passing move, but from a good shooting position Ged Courtney somehow got the ball stuck under his feet allowing the defender to recover and block the shot sufficiently to take any threatening pace off it.
Chris Moores then had a shot blocked before Matty Rhead had his chance to score, his header being tipped over from Danny Morton. However from the resultant 50th minute corner was only half cleared and the rebound was fired home by Steve Pope.
Both sides fired shots over the bar in the ensuing minutes, Tony Dunn for Town and Alex Morris for Kidsgrove. On 65 minutes Town were forced to scramble the ball clear from defence and find Chris Fitzsimmons on the left. Chris attacked the Kidsgrove defence, laid the ball to Chris Moores who set up a one-two to put Chris through. His low drive hit the mark and comfortably beat Coates for the equaliser. It was a very good, and rewarding move.
It was then time for silly bookings as Towns Ged Courtney was cautioned for a high foot and Kidsgrove’s Lennon for a pull back. Both seemed harsh in what had been a very cleanly contested match.
Town were now in control and after a swift attack Chris Moores came close but his shot just drifted wide of the target. Chris then supplied the cross that was firmly headed goalward by Kevin Hannon but straight at Coates who blocked the shot. Three substitutions were made in the final ten minutes of the match. Matranga replaced Morris for Kidsgrove and Phil Mitchell and Paul Crompton replaced Ged Courtney and Karl Robinson respectively.
In the final minute a Chris Moores shot was blocked for a corner on the right hand side. Paul Crompton took it and it curled in towards the goal and through a crowded six yard box. It initially appeared to miss everyone but Liam Coyne got the faintest of touches to help it on its way. The ball crossed the line by a foot and despite Kidsgrove and the referee playing on the assistant had spotted it and justly awarded the goal.
Liam was stupidly booked for taking his shirt off in celebrating the goal.

  • Town: Morton, McAllister, Fitzsimmons ©, Dune, Coyne, Robinson (Crompton), S Smith, Ellison, Moores, Courtney (P Mitchell), Hannon. Sub not used: Pitts.


    About Author

    Experienced journalist for more than 40 years. Managing Director of magazine publishing group with three in-house titles and on-line daily newspaper for Warrington. Experienced writer, photographer, PR consultant and media expert having written for local, regional and national newspapers. Specialties: PR, media, social networking, photographer, networking, advertising, sales, media crisis management. Director Warrington Chamber of Commerce Patron Tim Parry Johnathan Ball Foundation for Peace. Trustee Warrington Disability Partnership. Former Chairman of Warrington Town FC.

    Leave A Comment