Rylands draw a blank as unbeaten away run continues


by Garry Clarke Pictures John Hopkins

Warrington Rylands were held to a goalless draw by fellow promotion contenders Ashton United as they extended their unbeaten away league run to 12 games.

But for an outstanding performance by home goalkeeper Luke Simpson and the referee’s turning down off two strong first half penalty appeals, they would have come home with all three points.

In the 10th minute Simpson, named as the home side’s man of the match, flattened Djavan Pedro as he attempted to collect a high ball. Referee Liam Corrigan dismissed Rylands appeals for a penalty as he did on the stroke of halftime when Ben Hardcastle was brought down inside the penalty area.

In the later instance, he awarded a free kick on the edge of the area which Hardcastle curled towards the top corner only to be denied by a flying Simpson who tipped the ball away for a corner.

Ashton had enjoyed the better of the opening exchanges with Alex Byrne firing a shot across the visitors goal and Sean Newton forced Luke Pilling into save with a header when found unmarked at the back post from a corner.

Rylands soon gained control of the game and held the upper hand for most of the first half but could not find a way past a stubborn Robins defence as desperate defenders blocked several Rylands shots and Simpson pulled off several good saves.

In the 5th minute, he flew through the air to tip a Matt Regan header over the bar, a feat he repeated in the 33rd minute to turn a Hardcastle shot round the post. Four minutes late he dived full length to keep out a low bouncing shot from Javid Swaby-Neavin having earlier blocked a Pedro shot at point-blank range.

A pitch which was firm in places and was cutting up in others was difficult for both sides to play on, and the second have became stretched and at time scrappy with few goal-scoring opportunities created.

As in the first half, Ashton started the better; striking the bar and a post in a 50th-minute goalmouth scramble before James Hardy’s shot at point-blank range is blocked by Pilling.

Rylands best chance of the second half fell to Adama Sidibeh just after the hour mark. He squeezed a shot from the edge of the area past Simpson only for the ball to rebound of an upright.

With a minute to go, Ashton’s Marcus Cusani almost won the game for the home side as he forced the ball past Pilling, covering behind his goalkeeper Clive Smith cleared the ball off the line.


Matty Regan in action

ASHTON – Simpson, Baird (Cowan), Newton, Couto, Burke, Abbott, Byrne, Rose, Hardy (Cusani), Charles, Clarke (Simms).

WARRINGTON RYLANDS: Pilling Smith Swaby-Neavin Butler Regan Furman Hardcastle Neild (German) Pedro (Adams) Touray (Hough) Sidibeh; Subs not used: Baillie, Uche

Refeeree Liam Corrigan Attendance 359


Ben Hardcastle in action


About Author

Experienced journalist for more than 40 years. Managing Director of magazine publishing group with three in-house titles and on-line daily newspaper for Warrington. Experienced writer, photographer, PR consultant and media expert having written for local, regional and national newspapers. Specialties: PR, media, social networking, photographer, networking, advertising, sales, media crisis management. Chair of Warrington Healthwatch Director Warrington Chamber of Commerce Patron Tim Parry Johnathan Ball Foundation for Peace. Trustee Warrington Disability Partnership. Former Chairman of Warrington Town FC.

Leave A Comment