PLANS have been submitted to Warrington Borough Council for permission to re-roof the historic former Drill Hall, in the East Annex of the Town Hall.
The work is necessary to prevent water leaking into the building, which was used by the military until 1975 when it was taken over by the council.
Like the Town Hall, the Drill Hall is Grade 1 Listed.
In recent years it was considered for conversion to a theatre but the proposal never went ahead and it remains in use for offices and storage by the council.
Warrington Town Hall was built in 1750 as a family home for successful businessman Thomas Patten. It was regarded as the finest building of its type and period in what was then Lancashire.
It was purchased by the borough council for use as a Town Hall in 1872. Its grounds became Bank Park.
The Drill Hall was built in the late 19th century as the headquarters of the 1st Volunteer Battalion of the South Lancashire Regiment. It was decommissioned around 1975 when the successor regiment, the 5th/8th (Volunteer) Battalion The King’s Regiment moved to Peninsula Barracks at Orford.
It is proposed to re-roof the building in slate to match the existing roof which is now letting in rain, with a heritage approved glazed roof light system and new rainwater goods. The scheme has been drawn up by the council itself.
Planners say the proposed works are acceptable as part of a scheme that will not cause irreversible harm to the Grade 1 Listed structure and will help to secure its long-term future.