Wolves roar back

by Gary Skentelbery

A HAT-TRICK of tries from winger Henry Fa'afili helped Warrington record their first win of the Super League season with a 46-24 success over Hull.
But it was playmaker Lee Briers (pictured) who was the star of the show as he kicked Hull to death. The Wolves looked to be heading for a hat-trick of defeats when they allowed the visitors to race in to a 14-0 lead.
However, the Wolves showed their teeth to bounce back from the early disappointment as they turned the games on its head with 28 unanswered points in the second half.
Hull's Danny Brough opened the scoring when he pounced on a loose ball near the Warrington line after Brent Grose had spilled Paul Cooke's kick.
The Airlie Birds second try also came courtesy of a clever kick early in the tackle count as Cooke spotted nobody at home at full back and prodded the ball forwards for Kirk Yeaman to score.
Brough converted both tries and added a penalty to put the Airlie Birds in complete control and on course of a repeat of their 2005 play-off win at the Halliwell Jones Stadium.
The Wolves got back in the match when Jon Clarke dummied his way though, but his effort was soon cancelled out when Yeaman grabbed his second. Back came Warrington as Lee Briers stepped inside two tacklers to cut the gap to eight, only for Hull to answer straight back again through Gareth Raynor as he beat Fa'afili to a high kick in the corner and ran 90 metres to score.
But Warrington's aerial attack finally paid off when Fa'afili outjumped Raynor to get his first of the night shortly before the break.
Hull led by just six at half-time and they soon saw their advantage disappear straight after the re-start.
Fa'afili's second try, which Briers successfully converted to level the scores as Warrington finally found a way through on their 20th successive tackle.
Birthday boy Mike Wainwright then put the Wolves ahead for the first time on the night as the 31-year-old made Nathan Blacklock pay for knock-on by crashing over on the left.
With Hull visibly rocked and on the ropes, the home side went in for the kill.
Richie Barnett somehow managed to get the ball down in the corner against his former club and Chris Bridge touched down soon after to finish the game as a contest.
Briers added a drop goal to rub salt in the visitors' wounds and then intercepted a pass from former team-mate Sid Domic to set Fa'afili up to complete his treble.
The Welsh international slotted over his sixth conversion and even managed to squeeze in a drop goal just before the end of a pulsating contest.
  • Picture courtesy of Neil Ashurst www.pandbpictures.com