After we were informed by scientists in the 80s that smoking cigarettes is actually bad for you and causes multiple diseases including several cancers, solutions were being made.
A big amount of the population of earth were addicted to smoking cigarettes due to the nicotine and we needed to get rid of that addiction, but how? Nowadays we have plenty of ways to help curb that addiction, for some certain methods work better than others. One of the most prevalent methods people use to help their smoking addiction is vaping and nicotine gum. As helpful as nicotine replacement therapy is, it has its pros and cons.
This method of nicotine replacement therapy is quite popular, and one of the first things you think of when you think about nicotine replacements. The way it works is as someone chews it; the nicotine will be absorbed into the body gradually and not all at once. When people are trying to give up smoking, they will undoubtedly face the discomfort of the nicotine withdrawal, and the gum helps with that.
- They are available in a range of dosages that are useful for people who were light smokers and those who were heavier smokers.
- The price range makes it accessible for most people.
- It is available over the counter at any drug store, so prescriptions aren’t needed.
- On its own, nicotine gum isn’t as useful. But with another oral nicotine replacement, it will produce better results.
- The desired result of the nicotine gum depends on the proper usage of it, which means using the chew and park technique and making sure you don’t swallow your saliva while using the gum.
- Side effects include nausea and indigestion.
E-smoking entails using an electric cigarette and vaporizing the liquid inside of it that contains nicotine and inhaling that vapor. In the past decade, this form of nicotine replacement has gotten incredibly common. There are hundreds of types of e-cigarettes and e-liquids as seen on the website of Mr Joy. The hundreds of flavors of e-juice have different amounts of nicotine as well as flavors, and the e-cigarettes range in many styles and sizes.
- Less harmful than traditional cigarettes.
- Provides the simulation of smoking without the bad smell.
- Able to manage the amount of nicotine in the e-liquids.
- Not many people actually quit smoking because of e-smoking.
- The research on the long-term effects of inhaling the chemicals that are used in the e-liquids is still not yet known but is predicted to be very harmful.
- Teens and young kids who have never smoked cigarettes are getting into it due to the misconceptions of it being completely safe and due to the sweet flavourings of the e-liquids, causing nicotine addiction in them.
The patch is stuck on any location on the body for the day and gradually releases nicotine into the body to reduce the cigarette craving.
- This replacement therapy is also available over the counter, making it accessible to most people.
- It lasts for a whole day.
- If used while continuing smoking the risk of a heart attack increases.
- Some people experience a skin condition as side effects.
- Sleep gets disturbed due to very vivid dreams.
- Works better when used with other nicotine replacement therapy like the gum.
It is always important to do your research when it comes to nicotine replacement therapy. They all have their benefits, but their disadvantages also matter. Knowing these facts will help you find the right replacement therapy for you.