Warrington-Worldwide.co.uk incorporates the Village Life, Culcheth Life, Frodsham Life & Lymm Life magazines.

Warrington Wolves survive brave Hull KR fightback to clinch semi-final spot


Pictures Eddie Whitham

AFTER building up a 0-22 lead in the Coral Challenge Cup Quarter Final tie at Hull KR, Warrington Wolves were pushed all the way as they eventually edged out their hosts 22-28.

Poor discipline was again an issue for the Wolves as Tom Lineham and Dec Patton were both sin binned in the first half as Warrington took their chances to lead 0-12 at the break as the hosts squandered a number of chances.

Warrington started brightly and opened the scoring on 12 minutes after forcing Rovers into a goal-line drop out. Jake Mamo glided into the space created to score the first try after a great pass from Declan Patton, whg added the extras..

But then on 19 minutes came the first sin bin as Jimmy Keinhorst was caught late and high by Lineham who was sent to the bin for 10.

Then on 24 minutes Warrington were down to eleven men for a cynical ball steal by Declan Patton.

But Rovers couldn’t take advantage, with a try ruled out on 27 minutes after a knock-on by Danny Maguire before Addy picked up the loose ball to touch down.

On 31 minutes Warrington again survived as Mose Masoe failed to see the numbers to his left and instead kicked lamely through the middle.

Then on the stroke of half time man-of-the-match Blake Austin touched the ball about three times in the build-up as he collected from Bryson Goodwin to go over.Patton added the extras to make it 0-12 at the break.

Three minutes into the second half there was no stopping Tom Lineham as he rolled over close to the line having squared up Ben Crooks. Austin was again in the thick of the action before Currie put Lineham in.Patton was just off target with his effort this time from the angle.

On 52 minutes Warrington went further ahead through Ben Murdoch Masila. Patton converted to put Warrington 22 points clear.

Rovers started their fightback on 55 minutes as Ben Crooks won the foot race to touch down. Ryan Shaw was wide with the conversion attempt. Then on 62 minutes Josh Drinkwater went under under the posts and Shaw’s conversion gave belief to the home side.

With 10 minutes to go it was game on when Josh Drinkwater was first onto McGuire’s kick through. Ryan Lannon looked like he had lost the ball in the build up but was given the benefit of the doubt with Atkin again showing his versatility. Shaw added the extras.

On 74 minutes Austin opened up the Rover’s defence to send Ben Currie over and Patton added the extras.

With just three minutes to go Craig Hall went over from close range with Shaw again adding the extras to ensure a nervy finish for the Wolves who held out to make the semi-finals.

For a gallery of more than 40 images by Eddie Whitham CLICK HERE


About Author

Experienced journalist for more than 35 years. Managing Director of magazine publishing group with six in-house titles and on-line daily newspaper for Warrington. Experienced writer, photographer, PR consultant and media expert having written for local, regional and national newspapers. Specialties: PR, media, social networking, photographer, networking, advertising, sales, media crisis management. Patron Tim Parry Johnathan Ball Foundation for Peace. Trustee Warrington Disability Partnership. Former Chairman of Warrington Town FC.

Leave A Comment