Big Jubilee Lunch

Warrington Town ease to win at Marine


WARRINGTON Town eased to a 2-0 win at Marine to consolidate their place in the Evo-Stik League Premier Division play-offs.

For the third consecutive game, the Yellows took the lead in the first half and were able to see it out for back-to-back wins.

The goals were scored in either half by Bohan Dixon and Tony Gray, who also scored in the win over Hyde last week.

There had been mixed news on the loan front during the week, with goalkeeper Charlie Albinson extending his stay at the club from Blackburn, though there was no news on an extension for forward Jake Kirby, with both players starting the game at the Marine Travel Arena.

It was an open start to the game and inside three minutes, the Yellows had a shout for a penalty when Dixon found himself in space at the back post and after he had been snuffed out by the ‘keeper, Kirby’s shot was blocked by a defender, though appeals for handball were waved away.

From the eventual corner, a near post flick on found Kirby, who struck a half volley in to the ground which was headed off the line by former Yellows midfielder Liam Hynes.

Marine too would have early openings, a cross from the left by James Joyce headed just wide of the far post by James Murray, with Albinson motionless.

Yellows midfielder Ben Garrity would also go close with a header, from a Jack Mackreth free-kick, before Sam Tattum dragged a shot wide for the hosts from outside the box.

Dixon would then start to impose himself on the game, first a weaving run took him past three players and in to the box, and he was then snuffed out by a last ditch tackle.

His delicious curling ball from the right was then headed just wide by an improvising Gray.

He would break the deadlock on 33 minutes, a Gray flick finding Dixon in space in the centre and he dummied twice before drilling a lot shot past Paddy Wharton in the Marine goal.

The only other chance of note in the first half came late on, Kirby almost catching Wharton out at the near post with a left-foot shot.

It was largely a drab affair in the second half, with the Yellows more than comfortable containing Marine and protecting their advantage.

They were starting to retain possession and play the ball around the park which was eventually opening up games, and it was from one of them that the second goal came.

Adam Hughes found himself in space on the left, beat his man and got in to the box, going to the byline and delivering a perfect clipped ball over the ‘keeper which Gray buried from barely yards out.

That put the result beyond doubt and though Dave Raven was denied by a Wharton save 15 minutes from time, it mattered little as the Yellows closed out the win.

Warrington are next in action at home to North Ferriby United next Saturday.

Marine: Wharton, Tattum, Short (Kayode), Shaw, Hynes, Joyce, Murray, Irwin (Kinsella), Sang (Elstone), Carney, Edge. Unused subs: Marsden, Mendes.

Warrington Town: Albinson, Duggan, Hughes, Garrity, Roberts, Raven, Mackreth (Reid), Evans, Gray (Amis), Dixon (Dunn), Kirby. Unused subs: Vassallo, Whittle.

Pictures John Hopkins


About Author

Journalist and sport content specialist, who is also editor of Love Rugby League. Formerly ran the official website of the Carling Cup, as well as operating a digital services business in Warrington.

Leave A Comment