Big Jubilee Lunch

League now the sole focus for Warrington Town


Pictures John Hopkins

WARRINGTON Town’s cup commitments for the season are over after a 2-1 defeat to Stockport County on Tuesday night.

The National League North side came from behind to grab the win at Cantilever Park in the Cheshire Senior Cup.

Following exits in the FA Cup, FA Trophy and Integro League Cup in recent weeks, the defeat means the Yellows’ sole focus for the rest of campaign is earning promotion from the Evo-Stik League Premier Division.

It looked like being a routine night for the under-strength Yellows when they took the lead inside four minutes. Dylan Vassallo had already got in behind down the right twice before crossing in for Josh Amis to head them in front.

Stockport did settle in to the game and their pacey left winger Darren Stephenson always looked a threat. It was good work by him that created the first half chance for his side, taking a shot himself that went high and wide.

Amis should have had his second on 17 minutes when a slip by Festus Arthur in front of Vassallo saw the ball diverted in to his path, and with just the ‘keeper to beat, he didn’t get enough power on the short and Ian Ormson in the Stockport goal was able to neutralise the danger.

A minute later, Stockport were back on terms. A soft corner was conceded off ‘keeper Joe Williams and from it, Will Holt’s perfect in-swinging delivery was headed in by Arthur, towering above the Yellows defenders six yards out.

It was almost a double whammy moments later when another sloppily conceded corner resulted in Holt swinging the ball in at the near post, only for Williams to just about scramble it away.

The visitors were having their best period of the first half and Stephenson got on the shoulder of the defender and to his credit stayed on his feet with Williams flailing at his feet, despite taking the ball away from goal, he steadied himself and curled a shot that dropped just wide of the far post from a difficult angle.

A lovely flick by Szymon Czubik opened up the Yellows defence on the half hour mark, allowing Adam Etches down the right and his cross fell for Czubik again and his shot was blocked by a diving Alex Marrow, who was forced off moments later with a tight calf.

The Yellows would have half a chance before half-time, a nice move across the pitch resulting in Adam Carden driving a shot right across the face of goal, as the sides went in 1-1 at the break.

Little happened of note in the second half until 20 minutes in, when Dominic Reid was forced off injured with Warrington already having used all three of their substitutes.

They had been down to 10 men for barely a minute when a superb strike by Connor Dimaio gave the National League North side the lead at the Cantilever bridge end of the ground.

With their numerical disadvantage, the Yellows were always going to struggle to get back in to the game, especially playing in to a swirling wind.

They return to league action on Saturday with a re-arranged trip to Hednesford Town.

Warrington Town: Williams, Carden (Morretti), Shield, Marrow (Summers), Duggan, Roberts, Benjamin, Evans (Mulholland), Reid, Amis, Vassallo.

Stockport County: Ormson, Whitty, Robinson, Peach, Downing, Arthur, Etches, Holt (Jackson), Czubik, Dimaio (Morrissey), Stephenson (Elhassan). Unused subs: Scott, Gorst.



About Author

Journalist and sport content specialist, who is also editor of Love Rugby League. Formerly ran the official website of the Carling Cup, as well as operating a digital services business in Warrington.

Leave A Comment