WARRINGTON is forging new European links to help protect the future of the borough’s famous transporter bridge.
A delegation from Warrington has attended the World Congress of Transporter Bridges in Bilbao, Spain, to establish partnerships with other areas with historic transporter bridges, across Europe.
The delegation – made up of representatives of Warrington Borough Council and the Friends of Warrington Transporter Bridge – aims to work with European partners, including Germany, France and Spain, to set up a World Federation of Transporter Bridges.
The Federation would enable Warrington to strengthen relationships and work towards producing joint European funding bids. This funding is vital for the future of Warrington Transporter Bridge, which is in poor condition and requires a significant level of funding to undertake repairs.
The council’s highways chief Cllr Hans Mundry, said: “It’s great news that we are connecting with European partners, as part of the work to protect our transporter bridge, one of our most important heritage assets.
“These new partnerships give us the opportunity to collaborate and share ideas. Equally, they will put us in a stronger position to bid for the vital funding we need to repair the bridge and safeguard it for future generations.”
Warrington Transporter bridge is recorded in the National Heritage list for England as a designated Grade II* listed building, is on the Heritage at risk register and protected as a Scheduled Ancient Monument.
The bridge has a span of 200 ft. (61 m), is 30 ft. (9.1 m) wide, 76 ft. (23 m) feet above high water level, with an overall length of 339 ft. (103 m) and a total height of 89 ft. (27 m). It was constructed in 1915, and fell into disuse in circa1964. It was designed by William Henry Hunter and built by Sir William Arrol & Co.
The Warrington Transporter Bridge was constructed to connect the two parts of the large chemical and soap works of Joseph Crosfield and Sons. It was originally designed to carry rail vehicles up to 18 tonnes in weight, and was converted for road vehicles in 1940. In 1953, it was further modified to carry loads of up to 30 tonnes.