Warrington-Worldwide.co.uk incorporates the Village Life, Culcheth Life, Frodsham Life & Lymm Life magazines.

Warrington Wolves edge thriller to secure play-off spot


WARRINGTON Wolves were pushed all the way as they secured a top four finish with a thrilling 26-24 victory over Huddersfield Giants at the Halliwell Jones Stadium.

The Wolves had the best of the opening exchanges but were reduced to 12 men on 15 minutes when Mike Cooper was sent to the sin bin for  a high shot on Adam O’Brien.

Within a minute the visitors took the lead when Jake Mamo touched down in the corner although Danny Borough was unable to add the extras from out wide.

Warrington hit back on 23 minutes when Bryson Goodwin carried on from last week’s five try scoring streak with the opening score for the Wire as he went in under the sticks, with Tyrone Roberts making no mistake from in front of the sticks to make it 6-4.

But the Giants leveled on the half hour with a Brough Penalty and then took the lead minutes later when Mamo raced 80 yards for his second try of the night. But Brough was again wide of the target.

Back came Warrington as Ryan Atkins celebrated his return from injury forcing his way over from close range. Roberts was again on target to make it 12-10 for the Wire.

But they couldn’t hold the lead long as Mamo completed his hat-trick just before the interval, with Brough again wide of the mark making it 12-14 at the interval.

Warrington restored their lead on 49 minutes when Stefan Ratchford spotted a gap to dart over with Roberts again on target to make it 18-14.

Two minutes later the Wolves were over again, this time Tommy Lineham getting over in the corner. Roberts was wide with the conversion making it 22-14.

But back came Huddersfield on the hour as Lee Gaskell went under the sticks and Brough converted.

On 68 minutes Goodwin struck with his second try f the night after collect Tyrone Robert’s cross-field kick but he couldn’t add the extras leaving the Wolves just one converted score ahead with 10 minutes to go.

Roberts failed with a drop goal attempt on 75 minutes and then with three minutes to go  Jake Wardle scored for the visitors but again Brough failed with the conversion.

Then with the Wolves clinging on the Giants received a penalty on half way in the final minute. Up stepped Brough who saw his kick land just short, ensuring Warrington hung on for a victory which takes them into the semi-finals of the Super 8s.

But if Brough had brought his kicking boots it could have been a different story!

After the game Head Coach Steve Price said: We found a way to win. They’re a good team Huddersfield and have been playing well recently.

“We need to keep raising the bar now and build on our momentum going into the semi finals.”

Try scorer Stefan Ratchford – Picture Eddie Whitham

Click here for a gallery of photos by Eddie Whitham

Warrington: Ratchford; Lineham, Goodwin, T. King, Charnley; Brown, Roberts; Hill, Clark, Cooper, Hughes, Atkins, Livett.

Replacements: Philbin, G King, Patton, Pomeroy.

Huddersfield: Rankin; Mamo, Turner, Wardle, Senior; Gaskell, Brough; Ta’ai, O’Brien, Matagi, Mellor, Roberts, Hinchcliffe.

Replacements: Leeming, Lawrence, Clough, Smith.

Warrington (12) 26
Tries: Goodwin 2, Atkins, Ratchford, Lineham Goals: Roberts 3

Huddersfield (14) 24
Tries: Mamo 3, Gaskell, Wardle Goals: Brough 2



About Author

Experienced journalist for more than 35 years. Managing Director of magazine publishing group with six in-house titles and on-line daily newspaper for Warrington. Experienced writer, photographer, PR consultant and media expert having written for local, regional and national newspapers. Specialties: PR, media, social networking, photographer, networking, advertising, sales, media crisis management. Patron Tim Parry Johnathan Ball Foundation for Peace. Trustee Warrington Disability Partnership. Former Chairman of Warrington Town FC.

Leave A Comment