Big Jubilee Lunch

Mackreth stars as Warrington ease past Workington


WARRINGTON Town kept a fourth successive clean sheet to move third in the table with a 2-0 win over Workington.

A commanding first half performance did all the damage as the Yellows followed up their impressive 5-0 win at North Ferriby on Saturday with another eye catching display.

Jack Mackreth ran the visitors ragged and his goal made sure of the points after Tony Gray’s delicious opener.

Paul Carden made one change to the side that won at the weekend, Josh Amis starting in place of Richard Brodie up front.

As was the case on Saturday, the Yellows started on the front foot and pressed Workington back.

They had four half openings in the first 10 minutes as Mackreth was causing all sorts of problems for Gary Rowntree, with Amis winning every ball up front.

Amis could have done better when a sloppy pass fell to him in midfield, before the ‘keeper saved well from Dylan Vassallo’s header off Ben Garrity’s cross, with the same pair linking up in reverse minutes later to force an even better save.

The breakthrough came as no surprise on 23 minutes, Mackreth with another blistering run down the right and though his cross evaded Vassallo in the middle, Gray collected it at the back post, and curled in a beautiful shot from the edge of the box in to the far corner.

The lead was doubled four minutes later, Gray’s reverse ball in to Mackreth who took it on and had his first shot saved, before burying the rebound, with his all round performance showing just why Carden had been so frustrated at the delays in his international clearance coming through.

Mackreth could have had a hat-trick by half time and he had tormented his full back Rowntree so much, that he was hauled off by the Workington boss at half time.

Workington shored things up in the second half, though nearly conceded a third on 54 minutes when Gray’s header was saved.

It took until the hour mark before a chance of note for the Cumbrians, a slip by the otherwise excellent Mark Roberts allowing Max Brown in, and he forced a very good stop from Tony McMillan.

Mackreth and Garrity both went close for the Yellows, before a sublime pass by Conor Tinnion carved open the hosts’ defence and McMillan made a fine one-on-one save from substitute Scott Allison.

In the end, the Yellows closed the game out to make it 11 points from a possible 18 so far.

Their attention turns to the FA Cup on Saturday, when Burscough are the visitors to Cantilever Park for a first qualifying round tie.

Warrington Town: McMillan, Duggan, Hughes, Garrity, Roberts, Raven, Mackreth (Caton), Beeley, Amis (Brodie), Gray (Dixon), Vassallo. Unused subs: Carden, Evans.

Workington: Taylor, Mellen, Rowntree (Allison), Wordsworth, Douglas, Cowperthwaite, Maguire, Hubbold, Brown (Mossop), Joel, Tinnion. Unused subs: Tidy, Miller, Casson.


About Author

Journalist and sport content specialist, who is also editor of Love Rugby League. Formerly ran the official website of the Carling Cup, as well as operating a digital services business in Warrington.

Leave A Comment