Yellows make it six games unbeaten in the league


WARRINGTON Town made ground on their play-off rivals with a 2-0 win away at Sutton Coldfield Town.

With only four games played on the day due to the weather, Tony Gray and Jack Higgins fired the Yellows to victory on the artificial pitch at Coles Lane.

The win pulls Paul Carden’s men level on points with third placed Grantham Town and three points behind Shaw Lane and stretched their unbeaten league run to six games.

Missing Jamie McDonald and Shaun Beeley due to family bereavements, the Yellows were dealt a further blow when Scott Bakkor pulled out with food poisoning meaning the injured Dylan Vassallo had to step up on to the bench.

Liam Goulding continued as captain in the absence of the injured James McCarten.

The Yellows played some nice football on the surface at Sutton Coldfield, just as they had on their last outing both here and at Tamworth.

They didn’t carve out much in the way of clear cut openings though, Tony Gray pickpocketing Lewis Probert and having a shot blocked, and then a nice run by Gerard Kinsella resulted in a ball pulled back for Gray and he was denied again.

Joe Piggott, fresh from three goals in his first two outings for the Yellows, headed straight at the ‘keeper on the half hour.

The Yellows went in at half time in front off a Sutton Coldfield corner. Tony McMillan caught the ball under his crossbar and launched it forward for Gray, who chased it down, controlled well, cut inside and fired a low shot past the ‘keeper.

After the break, the game followed a similar pattern though the Yellows were perhaps even more comfortable owing to their one goal advantage.

Sutton Coldfield gradually enjoyed some greater field position but when Reece Webb had a sniff of a chance on the edge, it was soon smothered by the hard-working Sean Williams.

The Yellows had a couple of chances for a second, Brad Barnes hitting a speculative one over the bar from the edge before Devarn Green dragged a shot wide after some nice build-up play by Rory McKeown and Gray.

Substitutes broke the game up as it entered the final quarter and a second goal did come on 80 minutes.

One of the replacements, Stephen Milne, forced a mistake that fed Barnes and though his shot was pushed wide by the ‘keeper, from the resulting corner, Jack Higgins powered home a header at the back post for 2-0.

There was still time for Sutton Coldfield’s best chance, James Beresford heading over the bar from a corner, but the result was never in doubt for the visitors.

Warrington Town are back in action on Tuesday night when Stalybridge Celtic visit Cantilever Park.

Goal scorer Tony Gray – Picture John Hopkins

Sutton Coldfield Town: Brown, Lyttle, Green (Dell), Webb (Richards), Beresford, Probert, Steele, Smith, Hawley, O’Callaghan, Flint. Unused subs: Howarth, McNulty.

Warrington Town: McMillan, Carden, McKeown, Barnes, Higgins, Goulding, Kinsella, Williams, Piggott (Milne), Gray (Hayhurst), Green (Davis). Unused subs: Vassallo, Speare.


About Author

Journalist and sport content specialist, who is also editor of Love Rugby League. Formerly ran the official website of the Carling Cup, as well as operating a digital services business in Warrington.

Leave A Comment