Yellows hit for five


STOURBRIDGE taught Warrington Town a lesson to underline what it will take to compete for promotion from this division on Tuesday night.

The Midlanders romped to a 5-1 win at Cantilever Park with a commanding display that saw four goals scored through set pieces.

It was perhaps a reality check for the Yellows, who despite having a promising start to the season still have a lot to do if they are to be genuine promotion contenders this campaign.

Stourbridge dominated virtually from start to finish, controlling possession and looking continually threatening from wide positions.

Their front man, Jordan Archer, was a constant menace for the Yellows’ back three, having been subject to a bid from National League side Gateshead recently and being watched by several scouts on the night.

A foul by James McCarten close to the right touchline gave the visitors a free kick on 15 minutes, and the delivery flicked off a few attackers before being powered home at the back post by Stuart Pierpoint.

It became a double blow two minutes later when Archer got in to space and diverted a corner in to the back of the net after Tony McMillan had failed to claim.

Stourbridge were rampant and Archer should have had a goal when he powered a header just wide from an excellent clipped cross by Devarn Green.

McMillan flapped under a Tom Tonks ball in and a dangerous free-kick from Leon Broadhurst was drilled in to the wall.

At the other end, the Yellows didn’t trouble Matt Gould in the Stourbridge goal, restricted to two wayward efforts from distance by Rory McKeown and Josh Hine.

Debutant James Barrigan, signed on loan from Wigan, was hardly given the platform to show his value to the team and at half time the Yellows had it all to do, 2-0 down.

They were handed a lifeline two minutes in to the second half, when the referee awarded a penalty much to the bemusement of most onlookers.

The hosts didn’t need a second invitation though and Sean Williams lashed it home.

The hope didn’t last long – the impressive Archer truly clinical when released down the right channel by a superb ball through the middle, finding the far corner.

And just as they did in the first half, Stourbridge made it a double whammy as Broadhurst made it four, nodding in a deep cross at the back post.

The night was to get even worse for the Yellows, Stourbridge captain Paul McCone heading home from another set piece for 5-1 on 63 minutes.

The agony didn’t end there – a long stoppage when two players collided with a perimeter wall meant eight minutes added on.

It meant only a second league defeat of the season for the Yellows, ahead of Saturday’s trip to Rushall Olympic.

Warrington Town: McMillan, Beeley, McKeown, Baker (Hughes), McCarten, Goulding, Barnes, Williams, Hine, Sanogo (Kinsella), Barrigan (Higgins). Unused subs: Mwasile, Richards.

Stourbridge: Gould, Christophorou, Westlake, McCone, Pierpoint, Forde, Dodd, Broadhurst, Archer, Green Tonks. Unused subs: O’Callaghan, Rowe, Green, Cooke.


About Author

Journalist and sport content specialist, who is also editor of Love Rugby League. Formerly ran the official website of the Carling Cup, as well as operating a digital services business in Warrington.

Leave A Comment