Warrington Town crash out of the FA Cup


WARRINGTON Town crashed out of the FA Cup with a 2-0 defeat to Hyde United in the second qualifying round.

After their late equaliser on Saturday had forced a replay, Hyde, who play a level below Warrington in the football pyramid, made light work of a disappointing Yellows performance.

Goals either side of half time from substitute Karl Jones and Tom Pratt fired Hyde through to the third qualifying round and a trip to Boston Town.

The Yellows handed a debut to former Barrow right-back Shaun Beeley, while midfield Gerard Kinsella made his first start since returning from a serious back injury.

They started brightly and could have led after five minutes, when striker Ruben Jerome should have done better with Sean Williams’ cross from the left.

The visitors were commanding possession and generally getting in to good areas out wide, but just couldn’t penetrate the middle of the Hyde defence, and eventually the threat disappeared for good.

It took 19 minutes for Tony McMillan to see some action at the other end, clawing away Paddy Miller’s 25-yard free-kick, before the ‘keeper thwarted a short corner.

The game halted for five minutes or so around the half hour mark as Luke Porritt went off with a knee injury following a stern tackle by Beeley, and that got the crowd up.

Ironically, it was Porritt’s enforced replacement that led to the opening goal six minutes before the break.

Rangey wideman Karl Jones took a loose ball on, beat a few men with some mazy footwork and then had his right-foot shot deflected beyond McMillan’s reach for 1-0.

Tails up at half time, Hyde dealt the killer blow barely three minutes in to the second half, Tom Pratt doubling their lead.

That proved to be a cushion that gave the hosts, on 20 match unbeaten run going in to this one, confidence and they never looked like losing it.

Williams warmed the hands of United ‘keeper Peter Crook after a one-two with Kinsella from the corner, but the Yellows barely strung a meaningful attack together in the whole of the second half.

The closest they came was on 74 minutes, when Liam Goulding’s ball to the back post was headed on to the roof of the net by James McCarten.

Their night was best summed up by a wayward Brad Barnes effort three minutes from time.

The Yellows refocus their attention on the league on Saturday and a trip to Halesowen Town.

Picture John Hopkins

Hyde: Crook, Harrison, Burke, Lipka, Coates, Miller, Sutherland, Khamsuk, Beadle (Payne), Pratt, Porritt (Jones). Unused subs: Ellison, Hodges, Boyle, Payne, Gay, Jones, Brown.

Warrington Town: McMillan, Beeley (Mwasile), McKeown, Barnes, McCarten, Goulding, Sanogo (Hine), Williams (Richards), Jerome, Kinsella, Hughes. Unused subs: Carden, Davis, Baker.


About Author

Journalist and sport content specialist, who is also editor of Love Rugby League. Formerly ran the official website of the Carling Cup, as well as operating a digital services business in Warrington.

Leave A Comment