Late goal continues Yellows play-off charge


VIDEO:WARRINGTON Town left it late to keep their play-off charge on track as they came from behind to beat Frickley Athletic 2-1.

Substitute Daniel Hattersley crashed one in off the underside of the bar two minutes from time to complete the turnaround and earn the Yellows a fifth win in six league games.

For a while it looked like the Yorkshiremen were going to leave Warrington frustrated after they had taken a first half lead through Gibraltar international striker Adam Priestley.

The Yellows did have chances in the opening 45 minutes, twice when Connor McCarthy intercepted short back passes, while man of the moment Ruben Jerome also had a sharp shot saved by the keeper’s legs.

A simple ball through the middle undid the usually unflappable James McCarten and Evan Gumbs at the back, enabling Priestley to nip in on 25 minutes and give Frickley the lead.

The two sides were level at the break though after a brace of Sean Williams’ corners were met by McCarten, the first being tipped over the bar and the second finding the back of the net.

That goal came in the last minute of the first half, and undoubtedly will have changed the mood in the dressing room.

The Yellows came out stronger in the second half but failed to create anything of note, although they did have no fewer than three penalty shouts, the last of which resulted in Gumbs entering the referee’s notebook for dissent.

Once again it was manager Paul Carden’s substitutions that were to prove crucial.

Hattersley entered shortly after the hour mark and came within inches of giving the Yellows the lead as Josh Askew’s cross flashed across goal and just too far in front of the striker.

Dylan Vassallo, impressive in the midweek win over Mickleover from the bench, also came on to give the Yellows more attacking impetus but time was starting to go against them.

Indeed Vassallo had a golden opportunity just six minutes from time when he instinctively hit a sharp shot goal wards from 12 yards which the keeper spilled and a defender diverted behind for a corner.

Frickley looked like they would stand firm until the 88th minute, when a corner was only half cleared and Hattersley turned and shot with his weaker left foot from 20 yards and the ball found its way in off the underside of the crossbar.

It was a tough blow to take for the plucky visitors, though they came within inches of grabbing an injury time equaliser when a free-kick was diverted just wide of the far post.

Warrington should have made sure in the fourth added minute, Williams’ short free-kick found Vassallo in all sorts of space in the box and though his pass beat the ‘keeper, it was too far in front of Jerome for the striker to continue his goalscoring run.

Warrington Town are next in action on Tuesday night when they travel to Nantwich Town for the semi-finals of the Cheshire Senior Cup.

Their next league match is at Sutton Coldfield Town on Saturday.

Warrington Town: McMillan, Harries, Askew, Ventre (Duggan), McCarten, Gumbs, Monaghan (Vassallo), Williams, McCarthy (Hattersley), Jerome, Codling. Unused subs: Smart, Shaw.

Frickley Athletic: Malkowski, Stomper, Tate, Gooda, Fielding, Burton (Fairhurst), Mangham, Ackeroyd (Valentine), Pugh, Priestley, Burdett (Williams). Unused subs: Lawrence, Diggles.


McCarten heads home -Picture John Hopkins


McCarten celebrates – Picture John Hopkins

Hattersley shoots - Picture John Hopkins

Hattersley shoots – Picture John Hopkins

Hattersley celebrates - Picture John Hopkins

Hattersley celebrates – Picture John Hopkins


About Author

Journalist and sport content specialist, who is also editor of Love Rugby League. Formerly ran the official website of the Carling Cup, as well as operating a digital services business in Warrington.

Leave A Comment