Big Jubilee Lunch

Losing start for new Yellows manager


NEW Warrington Town manager Paul Carden started his reign with a 2-0 home defeat against Nantwich Town in the FA Trophy.

The size of the job in front of the former Tranmere man was perhaps evident in this match, the second time the Yellows have been well beaten by their Cheshire neighbours this term.

Goals either side of half-time from Osebi Abadaki and Curtis Jones were enough for Nantwich, despite the home side hitting the post twice.

Carden’s first line-up in charge featured new signings in striker Danny Hattersley and centre-back Kristian Platt, who deputised for James McCarten, suspended having picked up his fifth yellow card of the season at Halesowen last week.

McCarten joined an ever-increasing list of first teamers on the sidelines, with injury victims Danny Ventre, Gerard Kinsella, Ben Deegan and Lewis Codling still missing.

Debutant Hattersley perhaps should have opened his Yellows account within 13 minutes, hitting the post from close range after captain Ciaran Kilheeney had flicked on Scott Metcalfe’s cross.

Metcalfe looked the most likely to make something happen for the Yellows down the left-hand side, but it was the visitors who were to break the deadlock.

Tricky striker Abadaki pounced as the Yellows surrendered possession in their own half, and after he had held off Peter Wylie, he found the bottom corner despite the best efforts of Karl Wills.

It should have been two barely five minutes later, left-back Andy White made easy in-roads down the left and his ball across was almost too straight forward for Josh Hancock, who side-footed wide while in acres of space in the box.

A change at the break saw Steven Gillespie introduced in midfield in place of Michael Grogan, and within seven minutes of the restart, the Yellows hit the woodwork for a second time. Kilheeney this time stooping to get his head to the ball which came back off the far post before being cleared.

That proved to be the best chance Warrington would have to get back in to the match, as ‘keeper Wills then had a 15 minute duel with the Nantwich front-line.

The big shot-stopper rushed out to deny Obadaki and then Wayne Riley fired the rebound over, before Theo Stair got in behind and hit a well-struck left-foot half-volley which was smartly saved by Wills.

He had to stay big at his near post to deny a deflected Stair shot, but he was finally breached for a second time on 64 minutes when Jones was left completely unmarked from a cross and made it 2-0.

Wylie and Simon Lenighan had long-range shots fly over the bar, before Metcalfe saved the day with a goal-line clearance after substitute Dave Walker had lofted the ball over Wills on a breakaway.

The game fizzled out to the news that Tuesday’s scheduled opponents Blyth Spartans had drawn their FA Trophy match with Goole, meaning their meeting with Warrington is postponed.

The Yellows’ next game therefore is against Stafford Rangers (away) on Saturday.


Scott Metcalfe attempts a shot PICTURES JOHN HOPKINS


Yellows boss Paul Carden

Yellows boss Paul Carden

Warrington Town: Wills, Wylie, Nicholas, Lenighan, Platt, Shaw (Peers), Harries, Grogan (Gillespie), Kilheeney (Speed), Hattersley, Metcalfe. Unused subs: Ford, Richards.

Nantwich Town: Parton, J Stair, White, Jones, Harrison, Bell, Hancock (Walker), Riley, T Stair, Abadaki (Mwasile). Unused subs: Sanders, Griggs, Quinn.


About Author

Journalist and sport content specialist, who is also editor of Love Rugby League. Formerly ran the official website of the Carling Cup, as well as operating a digital services business in Warrington.

Leave A Comment