Erectile dysfunction is a condition that affects approximately 20 million males in the US and is common around the world. Erectile dysfunction is usually defined as the inability to attain or maintain a full erection.
The process of getting a penile erection depends on a combination of biological functions performed by different parts of the body including the brain, blood vessels, nerves, and muscles. With emotions and hormones being added into the mix and problems in any of the areas above, an individual could experience the disorder referred to as erectile dysfunction.
Erectile dysfunction can occur at any age and can have several causes, including:
- Mental health problems such as anxiety, depression, or stress
- Prescribed medicine is taken regularly
- Previous trauma caused by injury, illness, or surgery
- Poor fitness levels
- Physical health conditions such as cardiovascular disease or diabetes
- Alcohol, drug, or cigarette consumption
For many men experiencing erectile dysfunction, one of the least intrusive solutions is taking male enhancement supplements to help provide better stamina and firmer results. However, there is some debate about the effects of male enhancement supplements, so this article aims to take a look at how they can help men to overcome erectile dysfunction.
What Do Male Enhancement Supplements Contain?
Male enhancement supplements listed online and available in stores usually come in pill form and are labeled as dietary supplements. There are a variety of supplements on the market and most good sex enhancement pills are made from a combination of natural ingredients such as ashwagandha, black ginger extract, maca root, and yohimbe extract. The effects of these ingredients are considered to be increased energy levels, improved libido, and reduced stress.
Other natural additives often used in the production of male enhancement pills include bioperine, cuscuta, ginkgo biloda, epimedium, iron, and zinc. Many male enhancement pills can be bought over the counter as they are labeled as dietary supplements made from natural ingredients with a low risk of causing side effects, therefore no prescription is required from a doctor to purchase them.
Even though most male enhancement supplements contain natural ingredients, the majority of products on the market are yet to be approved by the FDA, so it is worth taking some time to carefully check the description and reviews before buying supplements yourself. Furthermore, if you are taking prescription drugs, it is advised to check with your doctor before trying male enhancement pills.
How Do Male Enhancement Supplements Work?
Although some brands of male enhancement pills claim to increase penis size, most do not, and instead opt to focus on endurance and firmness. Most varieties of sexual performance boosters feature natural ingredients that the producers claim increases blood flow to the penis which in turn boosts the duration of an erection in addition to improving arousal, performance, and stamina.
In addition to improving blood flow to the penis, the individual ingredients of male enhancement supplements are thought to improve endurance and reduce stress.
Pros of Male Enhancement Pills
Male enhancement supplements are thought to provide a range of benefits to men suffering from erectile dysfunction, these include:
- Longer-lasting erections; male enhancement supplements make it easier for men to get and maintain an erection, leading to better sexual performance and reduced anxiety and worry related to satisfying their partner.
- More intense orgasms; arousal, sensitivity, and stamina is often increased resulting in a better connection between partners
- Greater sperm count; for couples looking to conceive, male enhancement supplements have been known to be beneficial for male fertility
- Improved firmness of erection; this can make the penis look larger than usual due to increased blood flow
- Natural ingredients; often combined in a mixture, the ingredients used in most male enhancement supplements are natural and the risk of side effects are low
Cons of Male Enhancement Pills
Despite the many benefits of taking male enhancement supplements, there are unfortunately a few disadvantages that should be taken into consideration when deciding whether or not to try supplements, these include:
- Some brands claim to increase penis size even though this is considered scientifically impossible
- Some male enhancement products may use artificial or fake ingredients
- Many supplements are not FDA approved
- They may not solve the problem if used alone and are best used in combination with other lifestyle changes such as better diet and exercise
- Men taking prescription drugs or suffering from serious health conditions should need to seek advice from their doctor when considering male enhancement supplements to ascertain any risks
Alternatives to Male Enhancement Pills
In addition to solely taking male enhancement supplements, there are various other ways that men can lessen the effects of erectile dysfunction, these include:
- Increasing the amount of regular exercise
- Going to therapy sessions
- Improving sleep quality
- Making dietary changes
- Quitting smoking
- Taking steps to reduce stress
- Using traction devices or vacuum pumps
Generally, to improve sexual performance and deal with the problem of erectile dysfunction, there is no fast way to cure it and a mixed approach should be taken that involves a focus on well-being which is supplemented by enhancement pills when necessary.
When shopping for male enhancement supplements, there are a few things you should check to ensure they are effective and safe. Some supplements may be approved by the FDA, although many have not yet been given approval, however, it is possible to carefully read the ingredients to look for suspect items that look artificial.
Another thing to look out for is male enhancement products that make tall claims about increasing penis length or size since most products are only capable of increasing sexual desire and improving blood flow to the penis.
How Do Supplements Compare To Prescription Drugs?
Due to their categorization as dietary supplements, male enhancement pills don’t require a prescription from a doctor, although there are several FDA-approved prescription male enhancement drugs available including avanafil, tadalafil, sildenafil, and vardenafil. Generally, prescription drugs can be trusted more in terms of effectiveness and safety when compared to dietary supplements, however, they are likely to be more expensive and possibly a hassle to get.
The problem of erectile dysfunction is quite common, and many men may experience issues at some point in their life. To solve the problem and maintain a healthy sex life, some men decide to take male enhancement supplements to help improve their libido and sexual performance. Male enhancement supplements containing natural ingredients are available over the counter and can be beneficial when used in conjunction with other improvements to mental and physical health.