Buying that first home is exciting. The buzz of being handed those keys after months of paperwork and waiting is all worth it.
Then, once you get through the front door you have the opportunity to make the property you’re own.
A survey conducted by Sunny recently discovered that out of those it surveyed, 62% of people in the North West bought a property that needed decorating to suit their tastes and 21% bought a fixer upper that required a complete renovation. The survey also discovered that 40% of people view two to three properties before making their purchase – 45% of those who took part and live in the North West.
With this in mind, Sunny has created an in-depth, home renovation guide for those looking to decorate their new homes on a budget featuring tips and tricks to do this for less.
From interior design trends for the year ahead to how to renovate wooden furniture, it covers everything. Here are five key takeaways:
- You don’t need to replace tiles – just give them a lick of paint! From bright and bold colours to classy white and grey shades, you can give the kitchen or a bathroom an easy update with tile paint.
- You can create an industrial vibe in your home by simply not covering up pipework. Let those exposed copper pipes make a statement (and save yourself a job!)
- Take advantage of original floors – take a peek at what’s hiding under the carpet and make those original floor tiles in the hallway or floorboards in the bedroom the focal point of the room.
- Plants are essential – you can bring the outside into your home with pretty potted plants that not only look great but are beneficial for your health too. Choose hardier varieties such as English ivy or a spider plant if you don’t have a particularly green thumb.
- You can always find cheaper alternatives of anything you need – from Farrow & Ball paint swaps to finding deals in unlikely places (who’d have thought Wilkos would be the best place for DIY tools) you don’t need to spend a fortune renovating your home.
Ready to tackle those rooms that are in need of a little TLC? Take on these tips, bookmark the guide and give your home a revamp without spending too much money.